One year Later-Agway Hearty Hen Feed-Anyone using it?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Cindy in PA, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    It's been almost a year since Agway brought out their Hearty Hen no soy layer feed. Has anyone used it and what do you think of it? I go round & round with the poor feed choices around here and like the sound of no soy, but still have to contend with the GMO corn products in it. Can anyone tell us now a year later how your chickens did on the feed? With Agway's reasonable prices & the search for no soy feed, I have to think someone has been using it, so how's it working for you?

2. redrstr29

redrstr29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2013
    I just got it today, and blended half of the bag to mash, they ate it lets see what happens, what are your results?

Aldo

3. Cindy in PA

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    The chickens seemed to like it & the guineas loved it. Guineas are still using it. Egg production was pretty good & color was good. I went back to soy free organic, as I was leery of all the GMO corn & now canola meal that was in it. Would use it again if organic gets too expensive.

4. redrstr29

redrstr29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2013
    i think its supposed to be like layena, it was 20.20 for 50 lbs up here in ct...thanks

5. Cindy in PA

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Wow, in March when I got it here it was $15.50. Your prices must be high.

6. NewBreeder

NewBreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Hi Cindy

a thread was started for the Agway Soy free food here

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/636647/anyone-tried-agways-new-soy-free-feed-hearty-hen/20

I have been using it for over a year now and very pleased with the food

I have customers that are extremely allergic to soy
    it was a blessing for them to find eggs and meat that is soy free food they could eat

The only thing that would make this food better is to have it both corn and soy free
    then it would be a killer food, since these two ingredients are normally GMO in animal food products

Oh if your an ingredient reader, don't believe the order of the ingredients
    From what I found out unless I am wrong
    Animal products don't conform to what people food listings are required
    having the order listed by the greatest amount first and so forth, Shame
    it would help the users of their products understand what they are buying
    IMHO a very deceiving practice

I am working on a food to replace it
    this week I am talking with a chicken nutritionists to see what we can make the food with the available ingredients out there

I already have other the pieces in place just need to solidify the ingredients and I will know the final pricing

Check out the thread already started to find out what others have experienced using it for a while

As for CT chicken feed buyers it's amazing one state over from Massachusetts
    your food is normally $5 to $10 more than what we pay
    You would think CT is closer to the manufacturing of the product and would have less shipping costs involved
    Go figure :)

Ed

7. redhen689

redhen689 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    SE PA
    Cindy, I was just at the Agway in Bechtelsville, (Yes we're almost neighbors. I live near Oley.)
    I went in and asked what they had and he told me that the Hearty Hen was very popular, so I bought a bag.
    I bought some organic feed from Panorama Organic Feed (Vernon Burkholder) in Oley a couple of months ago. I've had good results on their feed and will probably buy some more, but find their 80 lb bags cumbersome to work with, and it was out of my way today.

8. Cindy in PA

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    What are they getting for a bag right now & is it still 50 lbs.? What ingredients are they using now? Sorry for the questions, but I haven't used it for a while & am thinking about it again. I like Vernon's feed, but we started going away for 3-4 days at a time more often & it just doesn't flow through the feeder as well as pellets. I was using Nature's Best for awhile, but TSC never has it in stock. Right now I'm using Feather Fixer since it's 18%. Thanks for letting me know. My chickens always seemed to like Hearty Hen.

9. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts

My understanding is that Hearty Hen is no longer being sold under the Agway label but is now being sold under the Nutrena Nature Wise label. What had formerly been Agway's Egg Producer is now Nutrena Country Feeds Egg Producer.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  10. redhen689

redhen689 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    SE PA
    That's why I was confused.
    I bought it at Agway, but it does say Nutrena NatureWise on the label.
    I paid 12.50 for a 40 lb bag. It is soy free. It contains Corn, Wheat, Alfalfa, Flax seeds, Kelp, Marigolds, Vitamins, Minerals, and products of fermentation. (incomplete list)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by