One Year Old EE Hen has Distended & Squishy Abdomen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by OldCrookedToe, Mar 5, 2017.

1. OldCrookedToe

OldCrookedToe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2015
    Florence/Effingham, SC
    My favorite girl Petunia has had a nasty looking vent and a swollen, drooping bottom for maybe two weeks and it's gotten worse. Today I caught her and felt the abdomen and examined the vent. I think she has a bad lice problem on her bottom as I saw nits on the feather bases. Her abdomen is swollen and feels just like a water balloon. She's been laying eggs just like normal and even layed one this morning. She's foraging and acting normal but her abdomen is very obviously abnormal. I cut off all the bottom end feathers as short as I could get them to make it easier to monitor and easier on her. I'm not sure what to do and would like a get some type of idea what it is before I try to drain her and possibly make things worse. Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  2. LittlePip21

LittlePip21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2017
    I'm sorry to hear about your girl, I would research Asites in chickens, and for lice you could dust with wood ash, or Permethrin and the like. I am going through the same thing with my girl, and I found this thread helpful.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/853726/ascites-in-desperate-need-of-some-help-and-guidance

also, i have had some experiences with this problem in the past, if you want to see the threads:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1152049/3-hens-dead-what-is-it-anyone-know

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...es-or-a-resporitory-problem-or-something-else

BTW,what does her poo look like? does she smell like infection? anything else abnormal? also, Is she staining or acting like she wants to poo? maybe shes constipated?

I hope she improves and that this was helpful!

3. OldCrookedToe

Nov 10, 2015
    Florence/Effingham, SC
    I've seen her poo twice today, both were very watery and green. :/ She's eating and drinking though. Thank you for helping I was wondering if it could be asites. I'll read all those links

4. OldCrookedToe

Nov 10, 2015
    Florence/Effingham, SC
    The post you made about the 3 that passed away sounds a lot like what my hen has. She's got watery green poop and I caught her coughing a little today for the first time since I got her. She's still laying so I don't have a clue if it's egg peritonitis or not, but it's definitely squishy. That's about 3 times now I've read about hens with waterbelly having seizures and dying. Thank you for your help and I'm sorry for the hens you lost!

5. LittlePip21

Feb 5, 2017
    so glad I was able to help! I'm considering draining my hen soon, maybe even tomorrow. I've never done it before, so I hope it goes well[​IMG].

so, what are you planning on doing? I would like to know what happens, Asites definitely isn't fun, but having it on record is really helpful for the many others going through the same thing. I hope this has a happy ending! for both our hens.

6. OldCrookedToe

Nov 10, 2015
    Florence/Effingham, SC
    I plan on draining. She's been all tore up by our rooster lately so today I caught her again to check her belly, check her skin,and put a hen apron on her. Today I discovered she's got a BIG spot under her right wing where our rooster straight up skinned her! Her muscle is completely exposed with an area of about 3 quarters. I put red kote on her for now. It's awful! Not only is she filling up with fluid, but she has a big open wound and is completely plucked bare on her left side under her wing! The wound is from today I know since I checked that area yesterday. If anything helps her I'll post bc I know this is something a lot of people have to deal with unfortunately.

7. LittlePip21

Feb 5, 2017
    Thanks for keeping us posted. That wound sounds nasty, it might be a good idea to separate her, especially if your going to try draining. I drained my hen today! I have a pic of the fluid I can post. I would have someone hold Petunia upright so all the fluid pools in the bottom of the abdomen, and I would be careful not to take to much out in one go, so she won't go into shock. I would watch some vids online on it, they really helped me. She will probably leak for the rest of the day, I put mine on a fresh towel indoors. My girl, sunny, seems a lot better, she's drinking a lot more, and she's even walking around and voicing her opinion! Hope your draining goes well! Also I would add some electrolytes to her water to help her rehydrate.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  8. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Hi

Just want to advise not to delay too long in draining that fluid off. I procrastinated with a hen that I acquired from my neighbour as he wanted rid of her. She clearly had ascites and I didn't have the confidence to drain it and kept putting off because she was acting reasonably normal. I was horrified to open the hen house one morning and find her dead on the floor with half her innards hanging out of her back end and it pretty much looked like she had exploded with the pressure of it. I still feel really bad about it, but it taught me not to put things like that off because I am frightened of the consequences of doing it. The consequences of not doing it were far worse. She must have had an awfully painful death.

Good luck.

Barbara

1 person likes this.
  9. LittlePip21

Feb 5, 2017
    I definitely agree with reboscora the sooner you can do it, the better. Especially because it can put pressure on lungs and other organs. I was scared the first time, but it's actually not as bad as it sounds. hope she's doing well!

10. OldCrookedToe

Nov 10, 2015
    Florence/Effingham, SC
    Oh my gosh that's horrible! I think miss Petunia is getting drained tomorrow then. I almost did it today but like y'all said I got spooked and didn't go through. I've given shots but never drawn excess fluid. She's a sweetheart and I'd feel terrible if I didn't at least try so I'm going to get someone to help me and start the draining tomorrow morning so it can drip a little during the day and I can monitor.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by