1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One year old hen found dead - large poop and possibly enflamed cocia(sp)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sbickley, Feb 23, 2012.

1. sbickley

sbickley New Egg

Oct 10, 2011
    I found my one year old hen dead this morning. She was laying where she and the other two hens usually roost to go to sleep. There was no sign of trauma; no blood, no feathers strewn about, nothing. The birds have been eating and drinking regularly. In the past couple of days, I've noticed feces that almost looks like dog feces. This is found where they sleep. I cleaned their sleeping area yesterday, and today there was a decent buildup of said feces. When I examined the bird, I noticed that the cocia (that is the place where the eggs come out, right?) looked like it could possibly be inflamed, but that was actually the first time I've ever seen this part of the chickens. Unfortunately I have no pictures. I checked on the girls as I was headed off to school, so only had time to bury the poor girl and didn't think to take pictures. Thanks for yalls help!

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Sorry about your hen [​IMG]

Whatever happened was most likely not preventable. If she behaved and looked as if she was healthy prior to her death, it was most likely something like heart attack, stroke, or major organ failure due to something you'll probably never know. Unexplained deaths have happened to many of us. I don't know that her droppings were a sign; I've had birds poo HUGE poos, the size of some dog poos.

And the vent opening is the cloaca...that's probably what you had in the back of your head.

3. sbickley

sbickley New Egg

Oct 10, 2011
    Thank you for your help. I'm glad to hear it was not preventable. I started with 5 hens and a rooster a year ago and lost 3 to dogs, so I hate lose this 4th one. As long as I learn something, then there is something to gain from these experiences.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by