One year old hen with blood coming out of rear end. Coccidiosis?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CathyB59, Aug 11, 2013.

1. CathyB59

CathyB59 Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2011
    SE Montana
    So, my niece has a one year old hen that has blood coming out of her rear end and is listless and hunched up. I can't personally look at the the hen and see if it's bloody diarrhea or actual blood because I live 300 miles away from her. Any suggestions? I thought maybe coccidiosis, but we live in a dry, not humid area and it really hasn't been that hot out. I told her I would do some research so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    It is possible that it is Coccidiosis. Cocci is a parasitic infection of the intestinal tract,it is spread by birds,bringing new chickens into your flock,bringing it in on your clothes/hands/shoes,etc. There are 9 strains,so a overload/outbreak is possible. Symptoms of cocci are runny/watery poop(may or may not contain blood,depends on which of the 9 strains it is)fluffed feathers,lethargic,not eating/drinking,weigh loss,etc. Purchase Corid(amprolium)dose for Corid 9.6% liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water,dose for Corid 20% powder is 3/4 tsp(can be increased to almost 1 tsp(.92 tsp)this is severe outbreak dose)per gallon of water. Treat ALL chickens for 5 days,do not give vitamins during treatment(interferes with medication)give vitamins after treatment is complete.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I think that it is likely that it is Coccidiosis, as Ten Chicks suggested. However, it might be some sort of internal injury that is causing bleeding through the vent.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I could also be parasites and/or infection.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by