one year old hen with small injury to leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tamberlin, Oct 7, 2011.

1. tamberlin

tamberlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Framingham MA
    one of my biggest Easter Egger hens Nancy drew (shes about 4-5 pounds and is molting), got her leg caught in between some fencing today she peeled off some scales and it was bleeding a little but stopped quickly. we gently caught her and poured some Mercurochrome on it.

it is only one leg and she seems to walk on it gingerly but she can put weight on it her leg is not broken i checked on that. after we did that she went and laid down underneath one of the coups and dosnt seem to want to move much.

what do you think we should do about it? should we wrap it up? this is the first injury like this we have seen and were not sure what we should do . we do have some blue-coat but i wasnt sure if we should put it on her.
    please any help would be greatly appreciated thank you

2. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    Hi Tamberlin,

I would perhaps put her in a cage somewhere quiet, with good food etc, so she can heal in peace. Keeping her confined and quiet should make sure the injury isn't made worse and will let you keep an eye on her.

The scale injury doesn't sound bad. I would let it dry. One application of antiseptic (as you've done) should be enough if the injury isn't deep.

I wouldn't wrap a leg unless it needed splinting or immobilising. But that's just me, and I'm no vet.

good luck
    Erica

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by