One year old RIR moved and stopped laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chrisjer, Jul 25, 2011.

1. chrisjer

chrisjer New Egg

Jul 25, 2011
    I purchased 3 rhode island reds form a guy who said they were laying everyday. I introduced them to the rest of the flock and that all settled down 3 of 4 days later. After about a 4 days we got one egg then another 2 days later. Since nothing, it's been 2weeks now and nothing. Any suggestions.
    ?

2. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

I know sometimes moves can be stressful on the birds and will sometimes cause them to stop laying for a while. Perhaps they are feeling intimidated into not wanting to use the nest box. You might want to check around under bushes and such for any secret nests they may have created for themselves. Just a thought. [​IMG]

3. chrisjer

chrisjer New Egg

Jul 25, 2011
    Thanks for the reply, still no eggs yet. The girls have an 8 ft x 8th run as we can only let them out supervised. We have too many dogs in the neighborhood including mine that would have them for dinner. The guy we got them from kept them in his basement so they were not used to the outside. The food and water is outside and so they come out to feed and drink but seem to prefer the coop. I guess in time they will settle down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by