One year old sexed female...that's a Drake

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CityFarm98203, Apr 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. CityFarm98203

CityFarm98203 In the Brooder

Apr 3, 2018
    I got 2 female ducklings (sexed by the breeder, thank you very much!) to add to my chicken batch but one ended up being a boy. Having never experiencing or wanting to experience a "couple" I have enjoyed his personality tremendously but not the mating behavior. Since I had only planned on females I did not even research how to deal with it. As you may have guessed, one female is not enough for him and he has taken to terrorizing one of my sweet chickens. They all normally free range in the daytime but he has made it so I can not let her out of her coop/yard. She was visibly shaking when I got home yesterday. Nothing deters him. My husband is in favor of re-homing him which makes me sad but in all the articles of what damage he can do to my chickens, I think I probably should. I live in the city so getting 2 more females just to ease his libido really is not an option. Any suggestions?

2. CayugaJana

CayugaJana Free Ranging

Sep 2, 2017
    If you can’t regularly segregate him from the others with occasional visits, I would rehome him. He won’t change unfortunately.:(

3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Unfortunately I think it's time for him to either be rehomed or separated from the Chickens..
    Best wishes...

CayugaJana and New2DuckyDoodles like this.
  4. DuckyDoodles

DuckyDoodles No Idea What The Duck I’m Doing ;)

Feb 11, 2018
    Indiana
    I don’t envy your position because I can only imagine a year of loving and caring for an animal only to have to rehome him because of a breeder’s oopsie.

Having never experienced, first hand, what a male can do, I can at least attest that they do indeed pose an issue for females... chickens and ducks alike. I acquired two Pekin from a lady who had a large flock and even then (though not personally knowing her drake/duck ratio) it took several weeks for their poor little bodies to regain their missing feathers. And this was in December.

I’m certain he’s a sweet boy with awesome personality (aren’t all ducks?) but it seems like the best interests of your girls, and a hopeful target for his love, would be to find a new home for him or, if possible, keep them separated.

Hope you find an easy solution. ❤️

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    Miss Lydia and CayugaJana like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: