One yolk / 2 embryos (pic)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Dipsy Doodle Doo, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Hi!
    I candled some Day 8 eggs today and saw the strangest thing.
    TWO little wigglers on one yolk. This was the third candling for these and there was definitely one yolk).

Here's a pic. Can you see them both?

[​IMG]

So how'd that happen?

I'll try to get better pics in a day or two.

[​IMG]
    Lisa

2. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

thats too cool!! kinda looks like a pair of dark eyes looking back at ya. [​IMG]

3. encmanerabbitry

encmanerabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2008
    Tilbury, ON
    I cracked an egg for breakfast yesturday and it was fertilized twice in one yoke. So I guess I know now what it would looked like if I put it in the bator. Do twins ever make it?

4. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    keep ypur camera ready on this hatch. good luck with the egg.may the hatching gods be with you.

5. Ooooh, it does! They were very active, like they were trying to swim away from one another --- see-sawing up and down and spinning.

My camera can make short videos. I'll try that next time.

edited to add: None I know of have lived long.
    That's why I candle every egg I ship out or set here to make sure there are no double-yolkers (and to check for flaws in shells, etc.).

These seem healthy and active, so I'll let them grow as long as they will.

I've never seen it here before. Kinda strange.

[​IMG]
    Lisa

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  6. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

thats even cooler that their so active,, i cant wait for the video !

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I wonder if the weaker one dies eventually? In horses, often times an egg is fertilized several times, and the weakest embryos die off very early. Interesting! [​IMG]

8. MichiganWoods

MichiganWoods DD (Artistic Digital Diva)

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    I'm curious if these will be identical twins. Keeping an eye out for more pics!! I've got my own set of twins in the bator right now, but mine are fraternal.

P.S. That egg pic looks like some sort of a cartoon egg character staring at you with big goo-goo eyes! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  9. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Thats great !! Hope they both hatch for you !! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Hi!
    I don't know exactly what they'd be called.
    It's an egg from one of my Silkie girls. I had a nice Silkie chick get squashed in Saturdays' hatch, so maybe this 'extra' embryo is to make up for that one (cosmic ??? balance) --- the one I lost was a blue and this egg is from one of the white Silkies.
    I don't anticipate it (them) making it to hatch, but it's interesting in the meantime.
    It was surely a shock to see. I had to call Hubby in to confirm what I was seeing --- I didn't believe '*my* eyes!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by