One Young Chicken Dead Already Another With Bloody Stool

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ybbed, Sep 26, 2010.

1. ybbed

ybbed Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    PULLETS ABOUT 2 MONTHS OLD. WOKE UP TO ONE DEAD ANOTHER WITH BLOODY WATERY STOOL. THEY ARE FREE RANGERS. IS THERE ANY THING I CAN DO TO REVERSE THIS, DONT KNOW WHAT THEY MIGHT HAVE GOTTEN INTO. I HAVE ABOUT 30 OTHER CHICKENS NONE SEEM TO BE AFFECTED. CLEANING CAGES OUT NOW. PLEASE ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED
    DEBBY:(

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If a vet is not an option, I would get them on Corid or Sulmet or a course of both, for cocci. Yes, cocci can kill, if they have it badly enough. Usually by the time you see blood from cocci, it's a pretty heavy infestation. Some areas of the country have a lot more of it than others; it's in the soil.

Of course that's choosing treatment without a definite diagnosis, but it's pretty likely.

It would help if your location (a general one) were in your name. There's a recent thread about this.

3. PeepsInc

PeepsInc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    NY Tri State region
    Sorry to say,but It sounds like bloody coxidia. It's highly contagious & lives in the soil.Try treating it with Corid & vitamin supplements. Dont add any new birds to the area where the sick ones are penned. Good luck......PS. don't spread this disease by selling or giving birds away. (Burn & bury)

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Cocci is in the soil. They spread it to each other by poop in the water/food, but it's not actually contagious like respiratory stuff. They all are eating and pecking in the soil so that's how they get overwhelmed by the oocycsts that cause it. It's a protozoan, not a bacteria. Preferred first treatment is Corid, concentrated Amprolium. If you can't get that, Sulmet is okay, but it is much harder on their already ravaged intestines. Also, give plain yogurt to them or some buttermilk mixed with some crumble, to soothe the intestines.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by