Ones a Pekin, whats the other?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by michelle89, Jun 17, 2011.

1. michelle89

michelle89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    I'm hoping someone can tell me, I don't even know if their boys or girls! No worries though I love them to pieces no matter what they are! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    The one that is not a Pekin is 'splash' in colour. She has two doses of a gene that turns black to pale blue (like in Swedish ducks). She is very pretty. I say 'she' because I'd expect to see a greenish bill if it was a 'he'.

The Pekin I'm not sure about as I don't know anything much about them. Not sure what bill colour to expect. The best thing to go by is the voice. Does the Pekin say 'QUACK' (female) or make a low, raspy sound (male)?

They both look nice and healthy.

3. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    If either does the QUACK sound (can't miss it, specially if they're upset or you're late to let them out, someone will hear you coming and yell QUACK) while a male will mutter to himself with a raspy sound like he's got a frog stuck or a sore throat. The girls will "mutter" too, in a higher pitched "quackquackquack" noise. Specially while they're eating.

4. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    The white one looks like a pekin and the other one I would say is a blue swedish. I have two of them right now, but I'm curious to see what other people say they are. I've been calling them blue swedish, but I don't actually know!

5. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    The one on the left has some characteristics of a Swedish, but Splash in colour, not Blue. She doesn't have much of a bib. Head and body look nice and solid though. Hard to assess type from front on, need a side shot. Legs are good colour for a Swedish.

To be a 'breed' though, IMO, a bird should be able to breed true, that is, they can't be hiding unwanted genes that will pop up in the offspring. You can't tell that just from appearance. But they certainly both are lovely looking birds.

6. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    They look old enough for the male curl tail feathers. I have a male Pekin, the bill is yellow just the same as the Pekin hens. It's the raspy voice and the curls, no other hints.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by