One's broody, and one's days are numbered

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by urban dreamer, Jul 4, 2010.

1. urban dreamer

urban dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Sherwood, AR
    I have a little flock of four. My head hen, Zoii has gone broody again. She's just got over her last broody fit a month ago. One of my other birds Gladys, is walking on thin ice. She has a serious attitude problem and I'm quite frankly tired of it. I have another very small EE (Ginger) and a RIR (Emma). Gladys is a major bully and has nearly starved Ginger to death. Because she is so small, she's at the bottom of the pecking order. Last week, I found ginger laid out on the ground, unable to walk or stand. I paniced, and picked her up. She was hot and I could not find her crop. I laid her over by the waterer and watched to see if she would drink. She wiggled up and just as she was about to get a sip, Gladys jumped her and chased her away. I kept an eye on them for the rest of the day and found that every time Ginger or Emma would go over to the waterer or feeder, Gladys was attacking them. Gladys has done this before but not to the extent that I thought I would lose a bird. She is now permenatly separated from the flock. (I have separated her before and then re-introduced) I am not going to have this bully crap in my coop. Ginger is getting much better. With Gladys gone, she is eating and drinking and walking again. I don't think she is quite out of the woods yet, but she is making improvements. I know it is not kind to leave a bird by itself so here's my idea: I would like to either find Gladys a new home or I might have to result to something more sinister and then find a couple of day-old chicks for Zoii so she can finally be a mother hen. What do ya'll think? How you would handle a super aggressive bird and a determined broody?

2. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    If you want Zoii to be a mom, I'd suggest you find her some eggs to sit on. She may or may not accept new chicks...

Your aggressive hen might be okay, rehomed to a larger flock.

3. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

That's well beyond simple pecking order behaviour. I wouldn't have her in my flock at all. I rarely interfere with the hens pecking order business, there's really very little to be done actually, but that's too much. I'd definitely rehome her, if I wasn't in the mood for stew, I'd just take her to an auction I live near.

4. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    i would remove her and replace her with two hens. Flocks of five work better than four ! Trust me.

5. urban dreamer

Sep 28, 2009
    Sherwood, AR
    I really think Gladys' days are numbered. She might be culled tomorrow. Also, Zoii is not broody. She was in the nest box half the day and the other half she was out, squaking away as she usually dose. She did lay an egg today. Baby chicks are out of the picture now until I figure out what to do with Gladys. Her eggs are just not worth the lives and sanity of the flock. I guess I should get used to it too. I have only had one chicken die (of natural causes). She was two. Gladys is now two and Emma and Ginger are one. Zoii is three! I've got to accept chicken dinner is apart of raising chickens. [​IMG] Lots of mixed feelings today.

6. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Can you not find someone who will take her into an existing flock of several birds? (after isolation protocol, of course). If the flock dynamics are changed to where SHE is the newcomer and not at the top of the pecking order, she could very well settle down and maybe get to live out the rest of her life in harmony. Just a suggestion... I do feel for your dilemma. [​IMG]

7. urban dreamer

Sep 28, 2009
    Sherwood, AR
    Quote:This is her 3rd time being separated for bullying. [​IMG] She has pulled all the feathers off Emma's neck and has nearly staved Ginger. Ginger by the way is recovering. I can feel her crop again and she even made it up on her roost. I may go ahead and just leave her in the quarentine coop. She can still see and talk to the other birds, just from afar. The reason I was considering culling is becuase I know chickens do not like to be alone. I don't want to feel like I am abusing her by keeping separated. I can't think of anyone who would want a 2 year old hen. Most people cull at that age.

8. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    I had a hen who when she was first introduced into our flock she was at the lowest pecking order.
    This hen came to me with another hen. They were kept separate for a few months because they were older and bigger than the rest of the flock.

When I introduced her buddy, the second hen, to the flock EVERYTHING changed. The buddy became the alpha hen and she was so protective of her girlfriend that she went from the lowest place in the pecking order to near the top. She also became a bully.

I relocated her. She was fine without her buddy, but with her buddy she was one bad / mean girl.

Cull her or relocate her. My belief is to relocate anybody who breaks up the peace and harmony in my flock.

I wonder if it would be possible to relocate my children ? ? ? ? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. urban dreamer

Sep 28, 2009
    Sherwood, AR
    Quote:LOL, I can think of a few people I would like to relocate. [​IMG] She is separated from the rest of the flock now. I am planning on makeing my enclosed run bigger this fall. I live in city limits so free ranging is a no no. I can apply for another building permit and expand my run. I wonder if after we have some extra space, it may help with the bulling problem? I am gonna give her one more chance. After the new run is finished I will reintroduce her (again) and if she acts up, it's dinner time. [​IMG] At least then, I can insure little Ginger will be 100% again, Emma's feathers can grow back and they will have more room to run away from one another. I don't just abandon her when she has been quarentined- Everyday when I interact with the flock I make sure to spend some time with her too. Thanks for the advice guys. I guess Im a softy when it comes to my pets and I will allow her to live for now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by