Ongoing Broody Silkie..one dead chick and I think 4 eggs ready to hatch..HELP!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jenni22776rn, Feb 27, 2012.

1. jenni22776rn

jenni22776rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Central Maine
    So my Little silkie went broody at the end of january....she had 4 eggs at first but ended up with a total of 7 after she started to steal my other silkies eggs. I thought I was watching the eggs and her closely but one night last week I went to take the newest stolen egg away..and found a fully formed..fluffy chick that must have died just hours before. I was devasted..I can only think that the chick hatched and it might have gotten cold..pushed out of the nest or my silkie Roo killed it.The next night I found an egg near the door..It was cold and was nowhere near my broody silkie...I dropped it on the way to the woods and inside was a dead chick..not fully formed but almost.. I bought her in that night with the remaining 5 eggs and she has not moved from those eggs. She has been inside now for a few weeks and I am starting to woner if she will ever hatch the eggs..I candled the eggs..3 of them look fertile and one is almost solid inside..so If she hatches these eggs....will she keep setting on the other eggs until they hatch? I am thinking they are about 1-2 weeks apart..she stole eggs daily..once these eggs hatch..how can I break her from being broody? In all she has been broody for well over 30 days..has not stopped at all..I worry about her she is losing weight..I started feeding her starter feed and treats..any advice??

2. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Once she hatches one or more live chicks (and keeps them) she will only sit on the other eggs another couple days at most. After that, she will leave the nest and start showing her chicks the world. You can try to finish incubating the unhatched eggs or throw them away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by