Ongoing investigation into chicken Homicide

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jbowe, Oct 16, 2013.

1. jbowe

jbowe New Egg

Apr 17, 2013
    I came home from work yesterday only to find one of my Blue Andalusian (approximately 20 weeks) dead in the run with her house mates pecking and eating her head. There was no indication that she was sick or being bullied. After scooping her up with a towel before my ten year old daughter saw the slaying I went into the coop to make sure there were not any other surprises. Unfortunately I found my daughters favorite frizzle (20 weeks) cowering in a nesting box with her tail completely gone. Some of the Barred Plymouths were pecking at her along with the Lakenvelders. All and I mean all of her feathers were gone and just the bloody stub was left. I immediately took her out of the coop to wash and take care of her wound. She was acting like she was in shock and seemed lethargic. I decided to keep her in the house for the night until she started acting like herself. Long story short when I came down this morning to check on her she had passed. Anyone have any insight as to why this may have happened. Neither bird seemed to be in distress or acting weird yesterday???

I do have a Midget White Tommy turkey and guinea hens in with my flock. The only issues I have had have been with the male guineas. They are a little aggressive towards the hens. They will chase and nip at them. Most of the time the girls get away from them and they lose interest.

I did get peepers for the male guinea hens. I just put them on them last night. I am anxious to see if it curves their aggressive behavior towards the girls??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    When a chicken is injured, the others may well peck / eat at that injury, even cause death in the injured bird. They will also eat a dead bird, especially if fresh and with an open wound. You don't read a lot about chicken cannibalism here, but it certainly happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by