Ongoing problems but now shrunken blackened comb - PHOTOS ADDED

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HenandPen, Aug 20, 2010.

1. HenandPen

HenandPen Hatching

Jul 26, 2010
    Im so frustrustrated with one of my hens.

Starting just under a month ago she looked ill, droopy and lethargic, we thought she might be egg bound, and she seemed to be straining. After a day or so like that she layed a soft shelled egg. The next morning she looked better, but then the same symptoms were back.

We gave her a bath, and she had a soft shelled egg again. This went on for a while, the last soft egg she had had a lot of white membrane attached to it and she has not laid anything at all since.

I have wormed her with Verm-x. Have seen one worm in poo a few weeks ago but nothing since. I was told on a previous post to try the Flubenvet wormer, I've brought some of this now but dont know if I can use it so soon after the Verm-x??

So now she hasnt laid anything for at least a week. She is eating, she has free access to oyster shell, I've given her crushed egg shells and I'd say shes got a pretty good diet and gets to free range. She runs about with the other hen but certainly isnt herself and sometimes sits around looking hunched again.

I have noticed a couple of things in the last few days:

Her tail seems to turn to the side at times. She doesnt seem to be straining (like she was when she first had the soft eggs) but its almost as if shes a bit twisted up. This only lasts a few seconds and could be normal but I havent noticed the other hen doing it.

Her comb has also shrunk this week, its more dull and has black spots on it, almost like a mouldy look. My other hen has a few black spots on her comb but she is otherwise really well and comb is bright red.

Any ideas?? I dont know what else I can do for her [​IMG]

I have taken some photos of her but Im too stupid to know how to upload them! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  2. kylara70

kylara70 In the Brooder

May 13, 2010
    I can't help with the comb problem, but I CAN help with the upload problem. Look Up There^ See where the blue line is that says "Index" and "User List" and "Rules"? Follow it over to uploads. Click uploads and you will get a new window that pops up. If you don't get a pop up it is because your security setting is not letting you. When you get the pop-up window, just scroll down to where you find the browse button. Find the picture on you hard drive and upload it. Once you get it uploaded, it will show you 2 links. Choose the second link (not labeled thumbnail). Copy it, then paste it into your new post. Then click submit. You can do it!!!

Pictures would DEFINITELY make it easier for others to give you better advice.

All the Best,
    Carol

3. HenandPen

HenandPen Hatching

Jul 26, 2010
    Thanks Carol

Here is her comb, is she just dirty? I feel like I dont know what should be normal and whats not. The comb has definately shrunk though.

[​IMG]

This is the last egg she laid over a week ago and after a week or so of soft shelled eggs.

[​IMG]

We've felt both chickens today and she doesnt seem any hotter or swollen etc than the healthier one.
    She just doesnt lay, is not quite herself and is definately walking more squashed and not standing up as straight as normal.

4. winekntrychicks

winekntrychicks Pooper Peeper

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    I read that black on the comb can be due to anemia. Sorry not much help

5. kylara70

kylara70 In the Brooder

May 13, 2010
    I wish someone would look at these pics for you who knows what is going on. I am a chicken newbie so I can not help much, but here is what I've gleaned so far.

It does not look like fowl pox or scabs from fighting/picking. It looks like it should be something else. Some hens just do not lay right. If there is something wrong with her insides she will continue to have problems. Hopefully she will get better but I would be concerned about this being an ongoing problem. Also sounds like she is uncomfortable. I hope someone with more experience gets in on this.

Carol O.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: