Onion and Incubation...I know sounds weird

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jm93030, Dec 17, 2011.

1. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    I was just reading about the benefit of onios and found lot of information..(not sure if is all true or proven )

I was wondering if storing a piece of onion in the bator will be helpfull ,and replacing with a new piece every other week.

What do you think guys?

Research shows that onions may help guard against many chronic diseases. That's probably because onions contain generous amounts of the flavonoid quercetin.

Onions contain 25 active compounds that appear to inhibit the growth of cancerous cells alliin being the main constituent

There have been cases in which the onion has been proven to be so effective as an antiviral that a cut piece of onion placed in a closed off room will prevent the person in the room to be safe from viruses

you can read more here

http://www.herballegacy.com/Wilson_Medicinal.html

2. SmokinChick

SmokinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    What chronic diseases are you trying to prevent in your incubator? IF a piece of onion prevented the spread of viruses don't you think onions would cost $100 each and they would be hanging in every doorway. Or is the big medical industry hoping no one will find out about the onions power?
    If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is.

3. glucke

glucke Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2011
    i donĀ“t know if the onion will help your incubation process but if someone in my family gets a cold i cut an onion and put it next to the bed. it helps breathing during night time. i also use onion sirup as cough suppressant.

4. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    When I was a little girl I was prone to getting Pneumonia and my Mother would put me in a hot tub of bathwater filled with onion skins to help me breath easier [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  5. Chickenfarmer 1-2-b

Chickenfarmer 1-2-b Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Not only onion keeps the virus and bacteria away from me, but my wife, parents, in laws, siblings, grand parents, nieces and nephews, neighbors away from me.

6. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

[​IMG]

I love onions, and they're cheap enough to give it a try. What would it hurt! Thanks, OP.

ps, Every time I sneeze in my classroom I tell the students I'm allergic to them. They keep coming back, darn it! [​IMG]
    Nah, I love to teach.... it's the adults I work with that I'm more "allergic" to... [​IMG]

8. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

This is junk science....and as one previous poster has written, the health benefits of onions are such that their smell keeps others away from you, thus not exposing you to any infectious diseases THEY may be carrying.

Gail

9. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Quote:I though that was garlic, not onions. I've planted both, just in case. You can't take chances. [​IMG]

10. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    No I don't think they would cost $100 ea. because everybody can grow onions. and they don't smell good either, so who would want them hanging around the house? It is true, onions are very good for curing different diseases. And I use them when sick and also they absorb different germs in the air.(all this is with the onions cut open)And the big medical world is always and always will be trying to keep all natural remedies under cover and from gaining popularity. Don't talk junk about things you know nothing about. If you would rather take drugs that cure one thing quickly and kill you slowly, then go right ahead.
    Quote:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by