Online Chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickyGirl12, Sep 3, 2014.

1. ChickyGirl12

ChickyGirl12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2014
    Hey everyone! I have never hatched chicks before, but i have raised them through a local 4-H program, but they are all laying type chickens, you know, Black sex-link, Rhode Island Red and Barred Rock.I want some fancy chickens, Bantums (I dont think i spelled this right), silkies or polish, which ones do you guys think is the best? I was wondering, what are some reliable online places to buy chicks, I wanted to ask now so that i was ready for spring. I know 'My Pet Chicken' is supposed to be a good site, but i dont know, as i have never bought any chicks online. Thanks! :)

2. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    We used Murray McMurray earlier this year and were very pleased with their service and chicks. I also liked that their shipping charges were more reasonable than some of the other hatcheries (seemed to me anyway). Here's a link to their homepage:
    https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/index.html

I've also heard good things about Meyer Hatchery:
    https://www.meyerhatchery.com/

Ideal:
    http://www.idealpoultry.com/

Cackle:
    http://www.cacklehatchery.com/

If you want a hatchery located close by you, try a google or bing search. You can use the search box located at the top of the BYC page to get an idea of other people's experiences with the different hatcheries. You'll probably find both good and bad experiences with any hatchery, it all depends on personal experience.

Hope this helps, have fun shopping chicks!

3. ChickyGirl12

ChickyGirl12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2014
    Thanks!

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Very good advice! I just wanted to chime in and say, I've ordered from McMurray, Ideal and Cackle and have been very pleased with all of them. MyPetChicken is just a middle man, not an actual hatchery. I can't remember where they get their chicks, but you'll save yourself a bit of money if you cut them out of the equation.
    Also, if you're hoping for nice quality, super fluffy Silkies and Polish, don't expect to find them from any hatchery. Your best bet would be to look around Craigslist, or even find your home state on BYC and try to locate a breeder close to you.

And, I have to put in a bid for Silkies. I breed them and absolutely ADORE them. They make really wonderful pets. My Polish were flighty, ditzy birds who always got picked on and my rooster wasn't very nice at all. Lots of folks love their Polish, and they are super adorable, but they weren't for me.

Best of luck with whatever you decide!

5. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Thought of one more thing about ordering chicks...

Be sure to notify your post office before your chicks are due to arrive. Reminding them a couple times would be a good idea. A lot of the problems I've read about on here with having chicks mailed is more on the postal side than with the hatcheries.

6. onaquest55

onaquest55 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2014
    ^^ yup. My very first batch of chicks ever and it was shipped from a hatchery. It ended up getting up to 30 minutes away then it go rerouted to another state, then back to me. Chicks were in route 3.5 days! It was complete the post office fault as the order was accidentally rerouted. Apparently the whole truck, not just my chicks...then after I FINALLY got them I continued to get tracking info on them like they were still on the truck. :/

7. sarahandbray

sarahandbray Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2014
    Take my response with a grain of salt since I've only been a chicken owner for 3 weeks...but we really liked Murray McMurray. Another smaller hatchery we used as well, I wasn't impressed with.

Shipping was good, package came quickly, prices were reasonable, and the chicks were healthy. I was dumb and though Straight Run would be kind of cool and cheaper. Trust me--it's not!! Get all girls--pay up front.

Good luck!
    Sarah

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by