Online coop DIY plans?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jill Richardson, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Jill Richardson

Jill Richardson Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2009
    A friend made a nice offer: If I get a plan for a coop and the supplies (wood, etc) then she'll help me build it using all of her tools. GREAT! But now I'm looking for plans and coming up short. Here's what I'm looking for:

1. A coop for 6 hens (about 12 sq ft inside)
    2. No run necessary since I like to let them out in the yard during the day (although if there's a good plan that includes a run, I'd take it)
    3. Not too high. We have a fence around our yard and I want the coop to be the height of the fence or shorter so that it's not visible from the street.
    4. CHEAP AND EASY. I'm broke and not great with tools.
    5. No floor. Although if there's a plan with a floor that's fine, we just won't build the floor.

Any ideas?

2. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    Have you had a look at the coops here in the learning center?

3. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:True, plus you'll want even more space if you live where it snows and they'll want to stay in on bad days.

4. Jill Richardson

Dec 8, 2009
    Thanks. 12sf would be too small if I was keeping 'em cooped up in there all the time. But my girls get the run of the yard during the day. I just want somewhere protected for them at night. My problem w most of the coop plans I've seen is that they are too tall. There's a rule in my city about erecting structures in your yard, so I can't have anything visible from beyond our fence.

5. Jill Richardson

Dec 8, 2009
    OK thanks to all. I've ordered a plan. Also, so I don't seem like a bad chicken mother, I should say that I'm in San Diego, and so there's no snowy weather here. Our girls will have nice weather year round.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by