Online eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Riven, May 16, 2009.

1. Riven

Riven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2009
    Central Nebraska
    It has been my experience that when you buy eggs online they usually send a couple extras, is this the norm?

Just wondering because I guess I just thought so, I've bought four sets of eggs online for hatching and they all came with extras except the last set, and three of them were broken when they arrived [​IMG]

I guess when I pay $4/egg ( inc. shipping ) I kind of hope to get that many I can put in the incubator. I understand that they don't get the eggs here the shipping place does, but packing them is a crucial part of how they arrive.

I was just wondering for future knowledge, and yes I did contact the seller.

Thanks!

2. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Broken eggs are all apart of shipping. It happens and the seller is NOT required to send you more. The whole thing is a gamble and if you have sucessfully hatched eggs that were shipped, consider yourself up. If the seller is a super nice person, they may send you more if you have a miserable hatch... but I don't think anyone would replace an order because a few broke. That's just unfortunate but no ones fault

Some sellers send extras, some do not. Typically, if the eggs are more expensive, they do not because it's not just a couple extra bucks, it's 10 or so extra bucks....

ETA: to say NOT!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Most will send extras, but it is not a requirement to do so. Read the auction/listing and ask questions before making a commitment.

4. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:I am not an egg seller so I have no ax to grind. I received many shipments of hatching eggs this season, all of them were packed very good, some were broken, hatch rate anything from 10 to 70%.

Right the whole thing is a gamble and you, the buyer are the gambler wheather you like it or not.

Seller is NOT required to send you more, once the eggs live his or her hands eggs are on mercy of highly unaccountable US Gov institution USPS.

How seller can be responsible for USPS neglegience????

If you as a buyer are not willing to accept all risks of buying shipped eggs

DON'T BUY !!!

That's the bottom line.

5. addicted2chicks

addicted2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    I have bought eggs that were shipped and my first 2 sets I didn't get any extras, just what I was expecting and I had 2 that were broke in those. I also just received another set of eggs and there were 2 extras in there and 1 was broke so I am still an egg ahead, but I never expect extra eggs. I think some do it just in case a couple break and I think others sell you that many eggs, that is how much they will send. If you are concerned about how many eggs you are receiving you may want to ask the seller when you buy them if there are extras in that? But I wouldn't assume or expect it.

6. Riven

Riven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2009
    Central Nebraska
    Thanks for the replies.

I guess I'm used to different groups that work a little differently. Out of all of the egg's I've had mailed I've only had broken ones in this one, and one other set from a friend. Both were not packed in what I would consider ideal for eggs, basically either wrapped or in a carton surrounded by find paper or shavings, basically a "hard hit" when the box is moved around opposed to a softer "hit" from something like bubble wrap or foam.

Maybe I just ship a lot of stuff more than other people... I don't know. I know that in my business, if the order isn't right or arrives broken, I fix it, that to me is just good business.

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  7. jambunny

jambunny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Banner Wyoming
    The one's I have received have been packed in a way that the only way to break them would be to crush the larger box. I got an extra in one order but not the other. My only complaint was that one order was supposed to be show quality white silkies but the eggs were marked with 4 colors and only 3 of the 14 marked show. I was a tad bummed.[​IMG]

8. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Sorry, I forgot to add the most important "not" in my reply [​IMG] Typing too fast!! A seller is NOT required to send you more... Broken eggs are just an unfortunate part of shipping and it is the chance you as a buyer takes when purchasing. Good Luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by