Online Hatcheries - Comments?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Myfriendconnie, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Myfriendconnie

Myfriendconnie New Egg

Oct 22, 2010
    This spring, we're planning on getting Easter Eggers, Australorps, Andalusians, and Silkies from www.efowl.com , and Marans and Welsummers from www.mypetchicken.com .

Has anyone ordered these from these hatcheries before? I've read that Marans and Welsummers from hatcheries don't lay very dark eggs, but I've also read that MyPetChicken is a very good hatchery. What are your opinions?

2. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    I ordered 4 RIR girls from MPC & received them when they were 3 days old. I rec'd 4 healthy birds and they are 19 wks old now. I thought for sure I had a rooster, but they all turned out to be girls. Since 2 are much lighter than the other 2, I think I have 2 production reds. I am new to chickens, so I really don't care that they are not heritage RIRs, as long as they are healthy and happy, that's all I care about.

I would recommend them.

3. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

I have NO experience except from what I have read here about eFoul.. but I buy all my chicks from My Pet Chicken (MPC). Friendly, folks, and got JUST what I ordered, no additional roos.

4. Myfriendconnie

Myfriendconnie New Egg

Oct 22, 2010
    I was kind of wondering about the egg color of the Marans and Welsummers from MyPetChicken. Do they sell good quailty ones that lay dark eggs?

5. nomonewbies

nomonewbies New Egg

Oct 5, 2010
    We ordered 25 BO's from E-fowl. All arrived a couple weeks later - all healthy - even asked that we e-mail them as soon as we received them to make sure they were OK. Nice folks, good chicks. I would recommend them Highly.

Hugh

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:No. No hatchery does. The most you should expect is just a tad darker than your run of the mill "brown" egg. Trust me, I've never ordered from them but I've seen LOTS of other people's results. . . Breeding dark egg layers takes focus and care for quality. Hatcheries just breed chickens for quantity, which wrecks the egg color and instead replaces it with egg number.

If you want hens that lay eggs like these:

[​IMG]

Get from a breeder. [​IMG]

7. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:No. No hatchery does. The most you should expect is just a tad darker than your run of the mill "brown" egg. Trust me, I've never ordered from them but I've seen LOTS of other people's results. . . Breeding dark egg layers takes focus and care for quality. Hatcheries just breed chickens for quantity, which wrecks the egg color and instead replaces it with egg number.

If you want hens that lay eggs like these:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4131/5037328434_729f611c20_z.jpg

Get from a breeder. [​IMG]

Those are INSANE!

8. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    I would agree, if you want something like a dark brown layer, go with a breeder. The chances you will get good quality from a hatchery source is pretty low. If you just want inexpensive, utility quality layers, hatcheries are fine. I still buy from hatcheries when I want to add to our mixed layer flock and have good results with MPC. MPC and Efowl both though just have their orders drop shipped from other hatcheries. You are basically just dealing with a middle man. Meyer supplies chicks for MPC. Just something to keep in mind. I have placed orders through MPC though because they were the same price as Meyer and offered the convenience of immediately seeing availability dates. If Meyer ever offers online ordering, I will probably go that route in the future. I don't know anything about Efowl other than they have frequently irritated members here by doing things like using pictures without permission.

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Ideal is also a hatchery you might consider. This is an older, well-established business that hatches many of their own and, like Meyer, supplies some other hatcheries.

If I were to start over, I would not consider a hatchery if I could find a breeder within a reasonable distance, because there is such a difference in the quality of the birds. I did not know anything about this til I joined BYC. I now know that even though I live in a very rural area, there are some breeders nearby.

10. Beth G.

Beth G. Gaetano Family Farm

Hi There,
    If you are just looking for backyard pets MPC is a good way to go. The Marans and Welsummers my girlfriend ordered and I picked them up for her at the post office. They do not lay eggs as dark as the ones posted here. She is right when she says they only lay eggs a tad darker than a regular brown egg. Also, I believe the marans on MPC are clean legged. I'm sure if you poke around on here I'm sure you will find a breeder with some nice Frenchies!! That is, if that is what you want [​IMG]

Worst experience with a hatchery I had was Strombergs!! Stay away they do not have good customer service nor do they deal with you when you have a problem. I reported them to the better business bureau!!

Best of luck fellow chicken lovers!!!!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by