1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Online order: Hoovers hatchery chicks

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Cluckerzfamilyfarm, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Cluckerzfamilyfarm

Cluckerzfamilyfarm Songster

Aug 2, 2018
    I recently ordered 15 Speckled Sussex hens through Hoovers Hatchery online ordering service. I am happy to report that they all arrived alive and healthy. I am very pleased with the speedy delivery and they arrived in a well ventilated box with extra bedding for cushion. As for them all being female as ordered we will see.I will post a 7 day update and good luck to all future online orderers!

More photos later

Attached Files:

2. KikiLeigh02

KikiLeigh02 Free Ranging

May 11, 2018
    Western Kentucky
    :yaYay! So happy they arrived safely!

3. Cluckerzfamilyfarm

Aug 2, 2018
    I have one that cant seem to walk right.... :/ two steps forward followed by 20 backwards lol. Sorry not funny..kinda.. but is she ok? Is this normal? She walks backwards into a corner and will stand there back against the wall...

4. Lumenflower

Lumenflower In the Brooder

Aug 9, 2018
    Keep watching your little one, she could be bad at walking because she's so young or because there's something wrong. Can see drink and eat or does she seem to lose her balance? With chicks this young, it can be hard to tell what's silly baby stuff and what's something to worry about! :hmm

5. KikiLeigh02

KikiLeigh02 Free Ranging

May 11, 2018
    Western Kentucky
    Can you post a video? You'll have to upload it to YouTube and then add a link. Do her feet look normal, not curved? It could just be shipping stress, probably wouldn't hurt to give her a drop of NutriDrench if you have any.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  6. ButtonquailGirl14

ButtonquailGirl14 Free Ranging

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    Nutri drench!! so cute:love

GreatGranny and KikiLeigh02 like this.
  7. Cluckerzfamilyfarm

Aug 2, 2018
    Balance is off. Iv never posted a video but I will try. This is her posted back against roost bar end.

Attached Files:

8. Cluckerzfamilyfarm

Aug 2, 2018
    She is eating and drinking now. Picked her up forced some water ( not too much dont worry :) this is the best I could get of her feet. Also her chest is very blonde/yellow compared to the rest. Very noticeably brighter. I'm new to speckled Sussex so this may be normal coloring. Thank you ALL for your patience

Attached Files:

9. KikiLeigh02

KikiLeigh02 Free Ranging

May 11, 2018
    Western Kentucky
    Feet look good! Hopefully it's just shipping stress! If she's eating and drinking I would just give her time to settle in.

10. Cluckerzfamilyfarm

Aug 2, 2018
    And I am not keeping the paper towel bedding/hazard.. so I read online that paper towels is ok to use. Well it may be ok to use but its extra messy due to the water immediately soaked everything. Maybe I wont buy name brand paper towels next time and they wont do such a good job soaking it all up lol. Anyway I live on a farm and have pllleennttyyy of dry pine needles I use in the coops already. Would it be safe for the chicks? First timer with the baby stuff.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: