Online Organic Layer feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MyRedStarz, Jun 6, 2011.

1. MyRedStarz

MyRedStarz Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    Hi! I've got three 9 week old Red Star Hens and I'm thinking of future laying feed options. What is the best online store to purchase organic layer feed from? and is there certain ingredients i should try to stay away from? Also, if someplace affordable is a plus. Thanks in advance for your responses.

[​IMG]

2. bt03

bt03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Over the rainbow...
    Bump!
    I don't use organic feed only regular old TSC DuMor feed and all the bugs, grass & veggies their bellies can handle. Hopefully someone will come along soon that knows about good organic feeds.

3. ChickenSahib

ChickenSahib Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Hayward
    I'd also like some of this info!

4. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    I use organic feed from Egganic Industries - they use a co-op of organic feed suppliers and you order from the one in the state that is closest to you, lower shipping charges. Shipping charges are not cheap, but there are no organic feed suppliers near me, and I do not have a lot of chickens.

deb g

5. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    For online ordering, I use Countryside Organics: http://www.countrysideorganics.com/
    My
    guidelines were:
    - Must be Organic
    - Prefer Soy-Free
    - Most have mostly good feedback from actual users of the feed
    - Must be able to ship (I can't talk my feed stores into organic when I'd be the only one buying according to them! And I can't do a co-op since I know so few other chicken people locally)
    - Shipping must be as reasonable as possible (considering how much 50lbs costs to ship)
    - Needs to be less than $30 / 50lb. of feed (not including shipping) simply because that is the upper tolerance of what I can afford

Countryside met all of my criteria!
    I don't know if they are affordable for you but I wanted to let you know just in case.

6. GreenMountainEric

GreenMountainEric Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2010
    Vermont
    We dont have an online ordering system as of yet, although it is planned for the future. That being said, we can process and ship single bag orders via email or phone. We do this for several folks already. If you are interested, you can check us out at www.greenmountainfeeds.com email me at [email protected]. or by phone (802)-234-6278 ext#106

-Eric

7. MyRedStarz

MyRedStarz Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    Thanks for all the awesome replies!!! I will check into them![​IMG]

8. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    Azurestandard.com carries Rogue Feeds' Organic layer feed. It's a co-op that has a lot of different organic foods and animal feeds, check to see if they have an ordering group in your area.

9. speckledegg

speckledegg Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    W. WA
    I'm using organic starter from www.scratchandpeck.com They have grower and layer feed too. I don't know how they charge for shipping since I have a pick up location close to me though. Good luck!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  10. pmetzur

pmetzur New Egg

May 14, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by