Online Purchases

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SweetLilRachy00, Nov 29, 2007.

1. SweetLilRachy00

SweetLilRachy00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
    Simpsonville, SC
    DH keeps asking me what I want for Christmas. Well, I've decided. I want a Silkie!! He's seriously going to think I'm off my rocker, but I do! I was trying to think of something for christmas, but seriously. I really love my chickens!!

Can someone reccomend a good online place to purchase chicks??

My FIL purchases our first set of chickens, but he has no brain and we ended up with miscellanious (sp?) mixed breed chickens. I want something that is identifyable as far as breed, rather than telling someone "I don't know" when they ask what kind they are.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

BamaChicken has some extra silkie roosters she wants to find homes for. It's on a post titled "cull silkies" from yesterday. She has a picture and they're some cuties.

3. hsm5grls

hsm5grls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    My DH thinks I'm crazy too. I asked for wood so I can build a new coop, or the netting and new feeders.

4. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    hsm5grls, WHile you are at it, why not ask him for the labor to go along with it. [​IMG]

Sweet Lily, Have you thought of hatching your own? There are several here who breed silkies and might be able to spare some eggs.

5. hsm5grls

hsm5grls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    hsm5grls, WHile you are at it, why not ask him for the labor to go along with it.

I would but DH is a city boy and I want a coop that you know stands and will hold chickens and he is not very handy. LOL Cute as heck but handy ... not really​

6. SweetLilRachy00

SweetLilRachy00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
    Simpsonville, SC
    Quote:That sounds good to me....Anyone want to mail me an egg??? OMG that sounds funny. I could so see my UPS man looking at me as I gently grab the box from his hands and put it up to my ear to make sure that it hasn't already hatched! I've never hatched eggs before. I've been reading up on it though... Would that be better to do than get a chick from someone, as to not spread diseases?

7. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    If you hatch them yourself, they will see you as momma and bond with you closer than if you buy them from a hatchery or breeder. You can either buy an incubator or build your own (there are plenty of DIY incubator topics on this forum). Then all you need to do is purchase some hatching eggs. A word of warning, it can be addictive.... [​IMG]

Right now it will be hard to find chicks to order online because most hatcheries sell out at the end of the year and start back up the following year in February.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by