Only 1 chick hatched: can I add more?

Love2learn

In the Brooder
May 25, 2019
So out of my entire incubator I only managed to hatch 1 chick. I'm on day 25 and my chick is 3 days old...

That being said, my husband bought 3 chicks that look like they're probably a week old so that my baby isn't lonely.

How do I introduce them together? Should I quarantine the 3 he bought? I've owned chickens before but have bought the chicks together and they've looked closer in age. This is my first time hatching and raising little ones by myself..

Any advice is appreciated!

I'm not sure about if it's best to quarantine to help prevent possible spread of diseases between the chicks but I have raised chicks of various ages together with good results.

I've mixed chicks that were up to 2 weeks difference in age and never had a problem with the younger ones being picked on. Sometimes they'll think eyes/toes of other chicks look good to eat and will peck at them but they should realize pretty quickly they aren't food. I put the chicks in the brooder together and watch them closely for the first 15 minutes or so, afterwards I'd check often throughout the day, I have my brooder nearby so if I hear a commotion I can quickly intervene. So far I've never had an issue with any injuries and the chicks usually settle in quickly and get along great. It really depends on individual chicks as well, I haven't had any that were bad enough they needed to be separated but I have had some that took a few hours to get used to the new chicks compared to the few minutes it takes most of them. :)

I've mixed chicks that were up to 2 weeks difference in age and never had a problem with the younger ones being picked on. Sometimes they'll think eyes/toes of other chicks look good to eat and will peck at them but they should realize pretty quickly they aren't food. I put the chicks in the brooder together and watch them closely for the first 15 minutes or so, afterwards I'd check often throughout the day, I have my brooder nearby so if I hear a commotion I can quickly intervene. So far I've never had an issue with any injuries and the chicks usually settle in quickly and get along great. It really depends on individual chicks as well, I haven't had any that were bad enough they needed to be separated but I have had some that took a few hours to get used to the new chicks compared to the few minutes it takes most of them. :)

Thanks! I'll definitely try that today! I'm just worried because one is so young compared to the other 3. But I'm sure it'll be okay as long as I watch them as you advised!

Thanks! I'm a little worried because the one I hatched sleeps alone and the rest sleep together... will this change over time?

If you have a heat lamp as a heat source that could affect where your little one likes to sleep as well. My younger babies always sleep closer to the heat lamp than my older babies. I integrated three different aged groups in my current bunch and once they got more fully feathered they all sleep together. :)

Back
Top Bottom