Only 1 chick hatched three incubations in a row

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Florida Bullfrog, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Florida Bullfrog

Florida Bullfrog Chirping

May 14, 2019
    North Florida
    My incubator is a Amazon sold Life Basis, which appears to be just a Janoel 10 with an automatic turner.

My first hatch was ebay quail and I got a near 75% hatch of the fertile eggs. Not bad for my first ever incubation. I used the dry incubation method.

My next 3 attempts at chicken hatches have been disasters. In each group, only 1 chick hatched.

The chicken eggs come from my flock, a combination of OEGBs, domestic RJF, white leghorns, and Wyandottes. A large range of different hens and roosters so lots of varied genetics.

I used the dry incubation method on the first chicken attempt, then standard temperature and humidity parameters for the next two hatches. I have cleaned the incubator well between attempts with alcohol, soap, and diluted bleach water.

Each batch consisted of 10 eggs. On all of the clutches, all of the eggs were alive developing at the end of week one, half had died by the end of week two, and the rest die between weeks 2 and 3, always except 1 chick.

I have tested my thermometer/hydrometer and confirmed its accuracy. I don’t know what to suspect except a ventilation problem, a problem with how the eggs are turning, or perhaps contamination with a chemical. First time I cleaned the incubator I used some sort of wet wipe, not thinking about what chemicals might be in it.

There are only 3 small vent holes in the bottom, only about half a centimeter across. They are on a thin lip that is barely lifted up off the desktop the incubator sits on. The unit’s fan sits on the top of the unit in the center and pulls upward.

Do you think I’m on the right path suspecting a ventilation issue?

2. FortCluck

FortCluck Free Ranging

Sep 9, 2019
    Central Virginia
    I just use Dawn dish soap and hot water to clean my incubator, I don't use anything else.

How are your eggs stored before you put them in the incubator?

Can you post a picture of your incubator?

Have you done any egg-topsies to see what is going on inside the egg?

3. Ted_Harrell

Ted_Harrell Crowing

Sep 23, 2019
    Pembroke North Carolina
    You might weigh the eggs and see if they are loosing the right amout of weight at the proper rate, if not then yes I would suspect a ventilation issue...

ChickenCanoe and FortCluck like this.
  4. Florida Bullfrog

May 14, 2019
    North Florida
    D6752ED7-15F9-4A08-A9BF-5A592DA1733C.jpeg EF888D27-5A83-4DD9-AF2C-6DDD518A2609.jpeg

The lip underneath is the only place air can be pulled in. There are two big vents on the top air is discharged from. I won’t be able to take a picture of the three small vent holes until I get the chick out.

I have looked at the dead chicks each batch and I candle once a week. Its consistent. Week 1, all are fertile and alive. Week 2, half are dead with small embryos inside. Week 3, the rest are dead except 1, with feathered chicks inside. All observations are consistent each hatch.

Cedar Creek Farm Lady likes this.
  5. Florida Bullfrog

May 14, 2019
    North Florida
    Anyone have a picture of a Janoel 10 with the factory ventilation holes?

6. Ted_Harrell

Ted_Harrell Crowing

Sep 23, 2019
    Pembroke North Carolina
    So the vents on top are not adjustable?

FortCluck likes this.
  7. FortCluck

FortCluck Free Ranging

Sep 9, 2019
    Central Virginia
    It seems like there is definitely not enough airflow. I have several air holes with my incubator so unsure why this one would only have 3 vent holes. Maybe it's just a bad design.

Wonder if there would be a way you can add more yourself with a drill bit, but I don't want you destroying your incubator in the process.

8. Florida Bullfrog

May 14, 2019
    North Florida
    I’m not 100% sure that the 3 holes in the bottom are actually ventilation or just drain holes. But if not, I don’t know where the air is coming from then. There’s no air input from the top vents only output as measured by a light thread. On the inside, the fan pulls upward and makes the air flow up from the middle and back down on the sides. Maybe my fan was installed upside down from the factory?

FortCluck likes this.
  9. Ted_Harrell

Ted_Harrell Crowing

Sep 23, 2019
    Pembroke North Carolina
    Sounds like the fan is only there to circulate the air that is already inside of the incubator. This still sounds like a ventilation issue to me. Just my opinion though...

FortCluck likes this.
  10. FortCluck

FortCluck Free Ranging

Sep 9, 2019
    Central Virginia
    That could be... The air should be pulled in not out. My fan moves the air that's being pulled in and then the humidity goes out the vents, there should be an even exchange of air.

Once your incubation is done with I would look into doing the fan the opposite way and letting it run to see if that works.

usually bottom holes are for if you put too much water in and it allows you water to drain out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: