only 1 chick hatched

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ryanhodapp, Oct 17, 2011.

1. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    So i had a hen go broody and a friend brought me some fertilized eggs. Only one hatched out. The little thing looks so pathetic in the box by herself. I added a stuffed animal and after work she was next to the stuffed animal. i carried her around for a bit, but was afraid to keep her off the light for too long. i havent seen her walk, but she is moving about in the box. I just checked and she is back by the stuffed animal.
    I also put down some started feed tonight and no interest.
    I dont want her to get weak and lose her. She is my first hatch.
    This is Day 2
    Breed is Bantum Cornish

thanks,

2. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Why not leave her with her mom? [​IMG]

3. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    Because at first mom, was not being a good mom. I have also bought day old chicks for broody hens and they have smothered or something. So i wanted to bring it in the house and watch it good. But that is not a bad idea. The mom is still broody, so I am afraid she wont be a good mom.

4. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I raised a Loner chick this summer. It was so spoiled that when I put i outside with the others she would cry and cry for me to come back out and pick her up. I would try an put her with mom again if mom isn't accepting her again take her back.

My little girl loved the one on one attention I gave her a little rubber duck to sleep with though. She still all grown up acts crazy when she see's me! [​IMG]

Good luck! [​IMG]

5. Wolftalk

Wolftalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    The Coop :)
    Make sure she has water. [​IMG] use a medicine dropper if she wont drink. and if you have a empty kleenex box, cut off the top so it is an inch or so deep, put a washcloth in the bottom and put some shaving in the bottom. Then run to the Ace Hardwear store and buy some "mommy feathers" aka a feather duster, it makes them feel like they are under mom. best $10 youll ever spend on a chicken. Hope that helped. You and your little chick are in my prayers [​IMG]

6. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Tape a small mirror to the inside of the box where she can see it. It helped calm an early hatchling of mine in the past.

7. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Take her out plenty and both of you will enjoy it.

Here's my 'loner' from last year.

[​IMG]

Turned out to be a huge yellow roo, but he's still friendly.

8. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Heres my little loner when she was small. Can you tell she was SPOILED?

[​IMG]

9. VI KING RANCH

VI KING RANCH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Campbell River
    Quote:I did the same with a modern...lets just say shes still in my room but right now on my head [​IMG]

10. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The mirror is a great idea. Give some crumbled hard boiled egg yolk. Sprinkle the feed and yolk on the floor (on paper towels). When they finally absorb the yolk they eat whatever is at their feet till they know what food is.
    Make sure the water is lukewarm and slightly sweetened with honey, agave nectar or sugar for energy and taste.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by