1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Only 1 chicken is laying out of the 3! What does this mean?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lewbylew99, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Lewbylew99

Lewbylew99 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2012
    Hey guys! ,
    Only 1 off my chickens are laying out of the 3!
    What do people think is wrong with the other 2?

Lewbylew99

2. cleoppa

cleoppa Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2010
    Can't help you. I just posted a similar question. But I bet it would help the experts to know age, breed, etc.

3. Moosetails

Moosetails Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2012
    Anchorage, Alaska
    One or more of my girls will stop laying for a short time, I think that is normal. Can you give more information? How long has this been going on? How old are your chicken? Have they been under any stress recently (dog attacks, construction on their coop, etc.)?

4. Lewbylew99

Aug 3, 2012
    It's being going on since we brought them... My chickens are like 1 years old! And nothing like construction or anything!

5. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Well at eighteen months they molt and stop laying while they regrow their feathers. Its also fall and shorter days so they normally lay less.

6. BackyardAnita

BackyardAnita Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    Are the two that aren't laying hens? (if the two haven't layed before) are they squatting, is the comb bright red, are they checking out the nesting box, etc. More details please
    By the way i have one laying hen and two pullets too!

7. Lewbylew99

Aug 3, 2012
    One of the not laying ones keep going to check out the nesting box and lies down but doesn't lay...

8. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Checking the nests out is a good indicator that she is getting ready to lay. Even so I've had them check out the resources two weeks in advance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by