Only 1 egg developed under my broody...is it ok to hatch only 1 chick?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mo'sMenagerie, May 20, 2019.

1. Mo'sMenagerie

Mo'sMenagerie Chirping

Oct 16, 2018
    Hood River, OR
    I have a broody who we gave a clutch of five fertile eggs to 14 days ago. We candled them and found that only one is alive and kicking. Is it ok to have her raise a single chick? Or do I need to find day olds to give her when the one hatches?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Puppy Dreaming

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    As long as she's a good mom and cares for it there's no problem with one. If she rejects it, you will need to find more so it has company while you brood it.

3. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    Do you want more chicks? If so, get some. If not, don't bother. The single won't be lonely if she has mum, and Mum won't care now many chicks she has.

You may want to have a backup plan in case she hatches none; breaking the hen always seems cruel to me if she's set for a full term and now has nothing to show for it.

sourland, Robert G and Mo'sMenagerie like this.
  4. Mo'sMenagerie

Mo'sMenagerie Chirping

Oct 16, 2018
    Hood River, OR
    Great information. I will look into getting a couple more...will have to order at least 3 if I get them from MyPetChicken I think. Any thoughts on where else other than MPC to get day old chicks near Hood River OR?

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    sylviethecochin likes this.
  5. Mo'sMenagerie

Mo'sMenagerie Chirping

Oct 16, 2018
    Hood River, OR
    Do you think she will except chicks that are a few days older than the one she hatches (fingers crossed)? I can only find them to order and ship out the same day this single one under my hen is due to hatch...so they would be older than the one she has.Worried she won't accept them if she's already been with the one for a few days. :thThis is so stressful! Such a gamble all around.

6. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Puppy Dreaming

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I would wait and see. I wouldn't add chicks after this one hatches. She will be fine with the one chick. If she rejects it and attacks it than I would look to add a few. Otherwise I would do nothing.

Mo'sMenagerie likes this.
  7. Robert G

Robert G Songster

Jan 23, 2018
    South Texas
    I have several old english game bantams that would hatch a ton of chicks if I wouldn't intervene. I usually let them have 2 eggs to hatch. This last one wasn't supposed to hatch any because I will place fake eggs when the weather is either too cold or hot for my broody to sit in a coop all day. Anyway, the fake egg I thought she had was actually a real one. So she has 1 chick and is doing excellent. She's even more protective about it.

Mo'sMenagerie likes this.
  8. 5hens&aroo

5hens&aroo Songster

Apr 20, 2018
    Kentucky
    That’s so weird that this happened to you too. I have a hen who’s been broody before and is a good momma but out of 9 eggs only two of them developed. I know they had to be fertile cause my rooster and her are buds.... ;)

9. Mo'sMenagerie

Mo'sMenagerie Chirping

Oct 16, 2018
    Hood River, OR
    I know they were fertile, but they ended up being quitters. They only partially developed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: