Only 1 egg, then stopped laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chukarbuds, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Chukarbuds

Chukarbuds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2012
    Colorado
    I'm a bit worried about my 1 hen. Altogether I have 3 hens. They just started laying the last day of December. Two of my hens have laid 1 egg, daily. Only 1 day did the third one lay. Why has she only laid 1 egg and has not laid since? Should I be worried? She is still acting the same, eating, drinking etc. The 2 that lay daily, are very talkative, very eager in their actions with everything. The one that doesn't lay is sorta calm and just follows along quietly. As she always has. I still cannot figure out which is the Alpha outta the 3. They all act the same and don't pick on each other. Please help? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. WestVermont

WestVermont Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2012
    Bennington, Vermont
    If she just started I wouldn't worry much. Try offering OS and give her time. If she starts to act off consider that she may be egg bound and look up how to care for this issue as it can be deadly.

1 person likes this.
  3. Chukarbuds

Jul 29, 2012
    Colorado
    I am familiar what to do if egg bound, but I don't get here on this forum much, so therefor could you please tell me what OS is?

4. WestVermont

WestVermont Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2012
    Bennington, Vermont
    Oyster Shell or you can go cheaper and finely crush egg shells... both help.

1 person likes this.
  5. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    If she's just started laying, it's not unusual for her to lay an egg, then stop for days or a week before laying another. I had an EE that laid three eggs in three days, then stopped for two full weeks. Now she lays almost every day. The egg laying machinery is not working full speed yet.

The big question is whether she's always been a quieter hen, or if her behavior has changed and she's not feeling well. Check for her being egg-bound, but I doubt it for such a new layer. There's lots of respiratory crud this time of year, is she sick?

If you are feeding layer food, she doesn't need oyster shell or another supplement to lay because the layer feed contains calcium. The amount of calcium affects shell strength, but not how many eggs you get. We provide oyster shell, but most hens ignore it. It's not technically necessary.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  6. Chukarbuds

Jul 29, 2012
    Colorado
    Thank you Walking on Sunshine :) She is back to laying 1 a day. Its my first time so I panicked. My girls free range during the day, when I am home, so I dont use the oyster shell. I keep my girls in their coop daily till 9 or 10 am, to be sure they get their business done :) I very much appreciate your knowledge in the subject. The respiratory crud scares me. Keeping my fingers crossed they will be okay

7. Chukarbuds

Jul 29, 2012
    Colorado

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by