Only 1 electric hen, can I put 2 new hatch with 2 one week chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bantam Username, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Bantam Username

Bantam Username Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    My Brinsea Ecoglow electric hen brooder plate for my older chicks just fell apart, I have 2 chicks under a second one that are exactly one week old and one of them is half sized and weak legged after having been hobbled for splay leg. I also have 2 eggs hatching tonight, can I put the 2 new chicks in with the 2 one week old chicks after they have dried out and perked up or am I going to have to make a cardboard partition. Also is a cardboard partition safe to put under the ecoglow brooder plate if I do have to put one up? [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The usual rule of thumb is, you can mix chicks of different ages while they are all under one month old. As with anything chicken, "usual" may not work that way for you. All you can do is try. Good luck!

3. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Week old isn't too bad with a day old - but you will want to watch and make sure the bigs are not beating up on the littles. Also depends on the size of your chicks - putting bantam week olds in with standard day olds would be about the same size chick wise. Could you partition with chicken wire or hardware cloth instead of cardboard? I'd be worried about cardboard possibly catching on fire if there's a heat lamp on it - but I'm not familiar with your brooder model.

4. Bantam Username

Bantam Username Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Second egg didn't hatch, I'll open it tomorrow and find out why. I tried the partition but the day old chick was so determined to be with the bigger ones that he kept getting stuck trying to get through so I had to remove the partition to avoid him getting injured. The biggest chick is pecking him a little but they are getting more grief from him as he is trying to get under, over, through and on top of the other chicks all the time which is bugging them a little bit. He struggles so much to get on top of them that he keeps falling over backwards. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by