Only 1 female duck laying eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Sue S, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Sue S

Sue S Songster

Mar 7, 2018
    Pa
    I have 4 mallards 3 females & 1 male, their 22 weeks old, 1 of my females starting laying eggs last week, I've gotten 1 egg a day from her my other 2 females haven't started laying yet, is this normal??? They all stay together when they are outside during the day & at night they are in their pen. I'm a very protective mom I know where their at, at all times so I would assume I would see eggs when I walk around the yard when their outside. I feed them DuMour grower/finisher from Tractor Supply. Any ideas, are my 2 females just late bloomers?????

2. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    1. It is normal for birds to start laying at different times. If one is laying the others are likely relatively close.

2. It is possible that you have more than one layer and your birds aren't consistently laying every day yet. Getting one egg a day doesn't necessarily mean only one layer.

3. Sue S

Sue S Songster

Mar 7, 2018
    Pa
    I thought that might be the case but wasn't sure, thanks

4. snow5164

snow5164 Crowing

May 16, 2015
    Hi!
    You feed them grower , have you thought about giving them layer? My chickens hardly eat the oyster shells so on layer I don’t have to worry about that ... just a thought

5. Sue S

Sue S Songster

Mar 7, 2018
    Pa
    Should I switch to the layer food???? I didn't know if the layer food would be good for my male, since they all eat from the same food dish

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia ~Delight yourself in the Lord~

You can put out Oyster shell along with changing feed to an All flock that way your drake isn't getting extra calcium

snow5164 likes this.
  7. snow5164

snow5164 Crowing

May 16, 2015
    True , I don’t know ducks at all ,but my chickens don’t lay as well on grower as layer .

I’d listen to the others and just give them time ,be patient .

Are the eggs big? Compared to chicken eggs ?

8. Sue S

Sue S Songster

Mar 7, 2018
    Pa
    They are about the size of a medium chicken egg

snow5164 likes this.
  9. Sue S

Sue S Songster

Mar 7, 2018
    Pa
    I buy the DuMor brand food from Tractor Supply not sure if they have All Flock but I will check, I will also start buying oyster shell to mix in with the food

10. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    Layer food is unnecessary and whether or not to feed it is a much debated topic. Through the BYC community I have heard that feeding it can delay laying due to decreased protein, yet I have heard others suggest to feed it to promote the start of laying. Obviously it can't work both ways. Personally I choose to feed all flock because even with my layers there always seems to be at least one that's not laying much whether it's broody, or wintertime, or molting, or too young, etc. As long as they have Oyster Shell on the side, they will get their calcium regardless of the type of feed you are giving them. The ones that aren't laying yet won't eat much of the Oyster Shell and my drake never touches it; somehow they just know when they need it and when they don't.

Miss Lydia likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: