Only 1 hen left-can I put her with the babies or no?

AMChandler

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 24, 2010
Missouri
I've only got one hen left, she's around 7-8 months. The babies are 5 weeks today, and I really would like to get them out of the house. Would they be ok together yet or is it still too soon. I put them together in the run while I was watching. Last night, the babies were screaming and driving the big girl crazy. Tonight, they seemed scared of her and she pecked a few of them, looked like pretty hard. I want to put a barrier in the coop to keep them apart, but I don't have supplies right now. The babies love being outside in the run, and hate coming inside at night, and I'm tired of hauling them back and forth. Any thoughts?

As long as they have most of their feathers, at 5 weeks, they should be totally

fine staying outside all the time, with-out a hen. What are the temperatures

night and day where you live? At three weeks, I always start turning my chick's

brooder lamp off during the day, and only having it on at night. It helps them

'wean' off of the lamp. Though, loud chirping normally would indicate a cold chick,

Your birds may just be scared, and not really know what to do. If you want

them out now, their heat lamp should go with them. Just start turning it off

more often.

ScissorChick

Thanks. They haven't had their heat lamp for about a week or so inside. I guess I'll wait till I can make the wall/fence inside the coop to keep them separated from the hen before I put them out there. Was just kinda hoping since there is only one big hen and 10 babies, they'd be alright. But I don't want them pecked to death by her either.

Oh and I'm in Missouri. Right now it's about 70 during the day and 40s-50s at night.

Last edited:
I have put my 5 week olds with a hen. I have 6 of them. She did peck at them pretty hard to show her dominance but none bled. I watched them and let her be boss without being too hard on them. At night I did separate them for a few nights so I knew they wouldnt get beat up at night. I put them back in each day for longer and longer. It only took her a few days and last night she called them in and made sure all of them were in. When one was missing she stood outside clucking till it came in. It was awesome to watch. Today I put my remaining 6 chicks in cause it was nice out. She actually guarded the smaller ones from the big ones and didnt peck any of them. She stood really tall and the younger ones just walked away so she was happy. They were fine for hours today. If its nice I'll try again tomorrow.

Dont give up. Just keep putting them together for longer times and separate them until you know she wont hurt them. Let her establish she is the top chicken with them. Separate them at night until you know they will be ok. It will work eventually. They will be her "flock" then.

Back
Top Bottom