Only 1 hen left

kendchick

In the Brooder
Aug 3, 2016
We lost 3 of the 4 hens we had early this morning. My husband seems to think it was a possum. My daughter found 2 headless carcasses and tons of feathers this morning.

I am afraid that the only one left will get too cold tonight. We live in Ga, so it isn't freezing, but frost was on the ground this morning.

How soon can I get other chickens? I love raising them. Plus, "Zebra" is going to be lonely.

First you need to find out what predator killed your hens and make sure that your remaining hen is safe.
If you buy hens you'll need to quarenteen them for a few weeks before you introduce them to your girl.
I'd buy chicks & raise them in a brooder inside the coop so she can get used to them.

First you need to find out what predator killed your hens and make sure that your remaining hen is safe.
If you buy hens you'll need to quarenteen them for a few weeks before you introduce them to your girl.
I'd buy chicks & raise them in a brooder inside the coop so she can get used to them.

:goodpost: That’s is a good idea. Instead of having to quarantine new hens, raising chicks where she can see them will help her not be lonely and will get used to them making integration easier.

We are thinking that it was a possum or fox. We haven't seen any owls around, although they were probably killed at dawn. We had gotten a little slack about securing the door to the coop. They were pretty much free range chickens.
Should we put her on our back porch for tonight? We have a little space heater we could put near her.

We are thinking that it was a possum or fox. We haven't seen any owls around, although they were probably killed at dawn. We had gotten a little slack about securing the door to the coop. They were pretty much free range chickens.
Should we put her on our back porch for tonight? We have a little space heater we could put near her.
Is your back porch secure? If she were mine, I'd probably put her inside in a dog kennel. I've never had a chicken in the house but I'm sure she is very stressed and scared.
I've raised all chicks outdoors in the coop/run and never had a problem integrating them with my older girls. I hope all goes well for you and your hen. I am sorry for the loss of your other girls.

Sorry to hear that :(
When a fox killed 2 of my 3 hens back in May this year, I was advised to get my little survivor a companion as soon as possible. If you can, it's probably best to get her some sister hens as soon as you can. My girl was very happy to get new buddies... even more excited to be the new head hen!
I sat in with them for first meeting and about an hour or so, then stayed nearby (other side of the run fence) just in case needed to break anything up.
Went very well and they are now a very happy little flock :)
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom