1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Only 1 of my 8

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by new2chicks65802, Oct 17, 2012.

1. new2chicks65802

new2chicks65802 New Egg

Oct 17, 2012
    Bought 8 chicks 2 weeks ago. They were almost bare when I got them (moulting), well now their feather's are almost back all the way I have only 1 chick that is laying. From what the previous owner told us was that they were moulting and show be laying in about 2 weeks, I have had 1 laying now for about 7days and nothing, nada from the other 7. I don't have any artifical light in the coop, could this be my problem that they are not getting the recommended 12-14 hours of daylight? Any help would be great. My girls are RIR's from what we were told.

I read the article about the paleness in the beck, shanks, vent, eye rings, and ear lobes. From what I can tell all of them have pale shanks, I can't see the vents, the ear lobes have a red ring and a white center, the eye rings on most of them are pale and the becks I really can't tell since they are not solid yellow.

2. foxy2320

foxy2320 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2012
    Oregon
    I haven't gone through a molt yet, but I've been told that it can be stressful on their systems. Pair that with the stress of a move, and possibly not getting enough light, you've got the prime circumstances for a hiccup in egg production. If you can't see their vents, and they're not squatting for you, they're not ready to start laying. When they start laying or are getting close, you can see their vent when you lift up their tail, and if it's big and juicy they're laying, if it's still tight and dry they're not. Hope I helped!

3. new2chicks65802

new2chicks65802 New Egg

Oct 17, 2012
    Foxy2320, thank you for the reply. I guess I haven't been able to see the vent's on some because they are still running from me whenever I get close to them. I do know that I look on them when they are bent over pecking the ground and they are not like you described, but the 1 that is laying is her vent is not like that either, that is why I guess I can't tell which 1 it is.

4. foxy2320

Oct 15, 2012
    Oregon
    Once they start laying it takes a few days to a week for the vent to change. You can't see them unless you pull up on their tail or they're squatting for you. Just start going up behind them and see which one squats, and that'll be her.

5. new2chicks65802

new2chicks65802 New Egg

Oct 17, 2012
    Yeah 4 eggs today, its been increasing an egg a day. That makes 4 out of 8 laying so far.:lol::D

6. foxy2320

Oct 15, 2012
    Oregon
    Woohoo!!!! [​IMG]

7. new2chicks65802

new2chicks65802 New Egg

Oct 17, 2012
    Doing the happy dance

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by