Only 1 out of 9 looks to be developing..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jjaazzy, Mar 9, 2014.

1. jjaazzy

jjaazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2013
    Davie, Fl
    My Silkie hen went broody for about 4 weeks and then she started laying again. So I started gathering eggs and I set them in the incubator 5 days ago. It looks like only one is fertile as I see a air sack. I had a bunch of eggs I set before this batch and not one was fertile. The batch before that and my first batch I have ever set I only got 3 out of the eight eggs were fertile and I have those babies now they are almost 5 weeks old. So what gives........ why such low fertility, I only have 1 hen and one rooster and another rooster that has not developed due to being in close proximity to the other rooster. Looks like the very last egg I gathered is the one that is developing. I have one more egg she laid about 2 days ago should I stick it in the incubator? I am on day 5 now I know they say you can add one more egg the next day but not after that. I will have to go buy a chick if I only get one to hatch....... uggggh what do you think is going on and what should I do?.... fire my rooster!

2. Basil G

Basil G Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2014
    Fire the rooster HAHAHA.
    You said you have 2 roosters and 1 hen. You might have low fertility because of the stress of being the only hen and the roosters are fighting over her to much

3. jjaazzy

Mar 2, 2013
    Davie, Fl
    Thanks basil....turns out that that dude was a lady....she is now 1 years old and is starting to lay her first eggs. Thanks for the info tho I had considered that too.

4. CrazyChickens09

CrazyChickens09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2009
    SC Kansas
    got to love the looks like a dude hens!

5. jjaazzy

Mar 2, 2013
    Davie, Fl
    lol....oh ye-ah......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by