only 1....

Discussion in 'Quail' started by mammaquail, Oct 12, 2014.

1. mammaquail

mammaquail New Egg

Jul 29, 2014
    wisconsin
    Our button quail laid eggs refused to sit on them so we incubated them, all 8. Today day 17 one hatched while we were at church! I put him in the brooder but he just keeps peeping. I have tapped the water dishes till he comes as I read but he doesn't seem to be eating or drinking. I added a stuffed bird for comfort I read this as well. He wonders all around the brooder peeping for friends. Anything else I should do? And lastly are the other 8 duds since they didn't hatch? [​IMG]

2. pogmobum

pogmobum Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    Ireland
    I had the same problem with a lonely chick when he hatched two days before the others he wouldnt stop cheeping so i tried a stuffed bird but didnt work then a put a small mirror in under the lamp and it worked perfect :) i would give the other a while and candle them to check if your still unsure.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  3. mammaquail

mammaquail New Egg

Jul 29, 2014
    wisconsin
    Mirror! Why didn't I think of that brilliant! Thank you!

4. pogmobum

Mar 28, 2013
    Ireland
    No problem he was so annoying until some others hatched that i was throwing everything and anything in there at the time haha :) good luck!

5. mammaquail

mammaquail New Egg

Jul 29, 2014
    wisconsin
    [​IMG]He's still wobbly when he walks he's about 10 hours old now..... is this normal? When do I stop worring about him dying like what day that he makes it to am I in the clear for baby chick death? [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  6. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    Well that a really hard question. I don't think any day is safe they are so fragile even as adults because of their size. You do have him in a brooder with extra heat? Do you still have the other eggs in the incubator? No more pips? Did you float test or anything? Sad to see this little one all alone. Can the parents see the chick? It might be worth it to try to put the chick in with the hen but then again she might kill it. Tough call only you know your bird and could judge if this would work, although doubtful. Is the food crushed fine so he can swallow it? and sprinkle it on the floor so he can find it . He just looks tired in the photos they sleep quite a bit. Good luck and keep us informed.

7. mammaquail

mammaquail New Egg

Jul 29, 2014
    wisconsin
    Yeah baby is in a brooder with extra heat. 95-96 degrees. Yes all other eggs are in incubator. Have yet to water test them. Plan on trying tomorrow if no more pip. I did try momma in there she was so scared of him she nearly trampled him trying to get away. Yes the food is ground chick start. I have it in a dish and on the floor. He's walking much better today. Keeping fingers crossed. :)[​IMG] (little foot at 27 hours old)

8. pogmobum

Mar 28, 2013
    Ireland
    Sounds good hope the others hatch :)

9. mammaquail

mammaquail New Egg

Jul 29, 2014
    wisconsin
    Thanks me too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by