1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Only 16 days.... What to do now?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by moulie18, Aug 12, 2011.

1. moulie18

moulie18 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    I just found out that one of the eggs has got a crack on the belly. I moved it down and after a while the crack became a little hole and I can hear a chick's voice...
    The issue is, I did not even locked down, because its only 16th day today... I put the eggs on 27th July... Today is just 12th august...

Any help pls???

Shall I give a hand to open the egg more... or shall I wait for some time...
    How long does it normally take to hatch....

thanks...

2. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    It can take a long time for one to hatch so let it be unless it's been a longggg time and I mean like a day, and it's not making any progress.

Then you can help it, but the thing is helping it is more complicated than just crackin the egg and letting the little guy out. I haven't done it myself so I can't really tell you from experiance but you should be able to find plenty of information if you just do a forum search.

3. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    Give it like 3 or 4 days.

Don't help unless you HAVE to. I've helped chicks out of the shell, but so far, I'm 5/5 that once they come out, they have some deformity or some other issue and I have to cull in the end. I keep telling myself that if they can't do it on their own, then they shouldn't be hatching, but it's so hard when they get it started and just can't seem to get the job done.

GL, and in my limited experience, it's best not to help.

4. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    BTW, it sounds like maybe it had a couple (2 or 3) days getting warmed under a hen or something and started developing before you put it in the bator.

5. moulie18

moulie18 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    It's hatched...
    After midnight around 03:00....
    Such an amazing.. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Now we are watining it's friends to hatch.

Thanks guys for every support.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by