1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Only 19*, but we roofed our new coop anyway! Ha!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mmtillman, Jan 24, 2009.

1. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

I know my husband is excited about our new coop and our soon to be incoming birds , but when he jumped out of bed this morning and said , " Lets roof the coop today !!'' .... I was not exactly ready to face the cold morning ,with that windchill at 15* !! He even fixed me a big breakfast to sweeten the deal!! [​IMG]
    So I pulled out my long johns, coveralls, and work jeans. I found a pair of wool socks and decided to tuck my longjohns into the wool socks for added warmth....Hubby about fell out of his chair laughing at me...said I looked like a rodeo clown !! [​IMG]
    WEll...we stayed warm, by comin in to stand next to the wood stove out in the shop every 20 min or so !!!
    Not only did we get the tarpaper on , ( too cold for shingles ) we also installed the 2 little swing windows in the back of the coop...Got them trimmed out in 1x2 and we used hardware mesh on them for added security , against the $%^&*()^^ varmints that wiped out our last flock !!
    We will shingle whenever we have a warm enough day for the shingles to adhere to roof....we tarped the tarpapered roof till we can finish it . UNless Mike gets up in the morning tomorrow ready to do that job too!!! But if he does I will be right there again...bundled up and ready to get the coop ready to paint and then bring on the girls!!!!!!! [​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

[​IMG] You are a better woman than I. I never even left the house. Well just to check for eggs.

3. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    We used to do three tab all the time in cold weather and heat them up with a weed burner to get them to stick. As long as they don't shatter from the nails or staples, they go down fine. Have fun Tomorrow![​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Crazy husband!!!! Well you cant complain there if he is just as excited as you are!

5. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

YOU are a GREAT GAL to do that sort of FUN!

Reminds me of my lovely late wife!

We had a lot of fun doing things together. Sometimes for HER..Sometimes for me...ALWAYS for US BOTH!!!!!

Good for YOU!

[​IMG]

junkmanme

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I wish I could get my wonderful wife interested in chickens.

When my juvies arrive from Jean in Washington on Tuesday, I told my wife to put the box in the shade on the back porch and call me. I'll have a little cage for them to go into because I want to isolate for a week or so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by