Only 2 eggs, she's not broody

DaytonDuckMom

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 4, 2013
Dayton, NV
What do I do? I just know you are going to tell me to get an incubator, but I just don't understand why my hen is not laying on her eggs. There are only 2, she laid them nearly a week apart, in the same spot. You can tell she has buried them under the straw but she is not laying on them. She does lay next to them. How long until she gets broody? How long until the eggs are no good? I'm really worried...and I can't believe how attached I am to these little eggs!

What do I do? I just know you are going to tell me to get an incubator, but I just don't understand why my hen is not laying on her eggs. There are only 2, she laid them nearly a week apart, in the same spot. You can tell she has buried them under the straw but she is not laying on them. She does lay next to them. How long until she gets broody? How long until the eggs are no good? I'm really worried...and I can't believe how attached I am to these little eggs!
What breed is she? some ducks are just not broody, and I won't tell you to get a bator, but I will say to be patient if she has only laid 2 eggs in 1 week then she isn't near ready to sit and brood. go ahead and mark these 2 eggs with a number or what ever just so you can tell the oldest from the newest, and when she finally get her clutch to the number she wants then remove all the old eggs until you get it to a number you think is reasonable. Some ducks especially Muscovy's think they have to have 15-25 in their nest before they'll sit. Crazy girls.

She's a Welch Harlequin....1 1/2 years old. She was laying really good in her old home...then I bought them and brought them home to our coop. The former owner said they would lay eggs, 2 or so a day and never sit on them. They were cooped with chickens and from what I was told it was pretty chaotic. But the former owner would pull the eggs. I am leaving them. They have been covered (insanely) so I know the eggs are fertilized and I want them to hatch. Crazy girls is right!

So, you think she will wait? Are the eggs okay out there after a week without heat? They are only in shade in the late afternoon. Full sun all day in their coop. She laid them right next to a tree in the corner of the coop and has buried them a little in the straw. Won't lay in the boxes.

She's a Welch Harlequin....1 1/2 years old. She was laying really good in her old home...then I bought them and brought them home to our coop. The former owner said they would lay eggs, 2 or so a day and never sit on them. They were cooped with chickens and from what I was told it was pretty chaotic. But the former owner would pull the eggs. I am leaving them. They have been covered (insanely) so I know the eggs are fertilized and I want them to hatch. Crazy girls is right!

So, you think she will wait? Are the eggs okay out there after a week without heat? They are only in shade in the late afternoon. Full sun all day in their coop. She laid them right next to a tree in the corner of the coop and has buried them a little in the straw. Won't lay in the boxes.
I don't think I'd let her sit outside even if she was to go broody, take the eggs and put them inside your duck house, they'll find them. As far as whether she'll go broody I have no idea and not much knowledge of WH, but if you haven't had her long it will take time for her to get settled. Do you have more drakes than ducks? sometimes having too many drakes can cause the girls to stop laying or slow down, If they are laying their eggs in the early morning then let them out later than you usually do and that also might get them into the habit of laying in their house in a safe place. Not many ducks are able to lay 2 eggs a day it takes 24-25 hrs to make an egg.

Give her time, especially if she is in a new home.
I would mark the eggs so you know which ones are old and if she lays any new ones. Harlequins can be good broody ducks, but they have to want to.
Generally they will lay one egg a day in their nest. Once they have the desired number of eggs (anywhere from 4 up to as many as 20 or more) then she will sit. And you will know it as she will only get off now and then to eat/drink.

I went to the feed store. Figured maybe I better get layered scratch for them. I have only had drakes for so long I didnt realize that she girls needed more nutrients. Hopefully that will get more eggs. I was told last week that the fertilization the boys did could hold for up to a month. I am nearing 3 weeks. I know the first and second egg are fertile. I guess I will have to bring home one of my boys (rehomed them for now) so they can mate again. :) Really looking forward to hatch!

Thank you all for being so available! I love BYC!
frow.gif

Lydia, I can only go off what the former owner said. I figured it took longer and it's good to know I figured right! I try to get her in the house but she wants to be out with the 2 other hens. Rehomed my boys for now. There are 2 of them and it was a frenzy! Only bringing one of them back. 3 - 1 is better, yeah? So for now, it's just the girls.

Lydia, I can only go off what the former owner said. I figured it took longer and it's good to know I figured right! I try to get her in the house but she wants to be out with the 2 other hens. Rehomed my boys for now. There are 2 of them and it was a frenzy! Only bringing one of them back. 3 - 1 is better, yeah? So for now, it's just the girls.
yes 1 drake to 3 ducks is a good ratio, and listen ducks don't always know what best for them, it's up to us to make sure they are safe when sleeping and when sitting. Good luck.

I'm so new at this. I will ensure that she sits safely. :) Thank you for always being here for me. I'll keep you posted! oh....still only 2 eggs..

Back
Top Bottom