Only 2 of my Red Sexlink hens are laying

ruegeneroost

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 10, 2013
this has been going on for many months. Molting is not a factor. They are just now two years old. Everything is the same and I am stumped. We keep their coop and pen clean, change water daily. I don't know who is laying and who is not. One of the hens however has lost feathers from her comb back about 1 1/2 inches. It has been this way for a while as well. We do treat them holistically for mites and we treat their coop as well.

I would appreciate any feedback.

I had a red sex link once, she started laying around 4 months, laid everyday for about a year, stopped to molt and never laid again. The variety has a high burn out rate due to laying so much. At 2 years you should consider them mostly done. Most hen no matter the breed lay best for two years before they start to slow down and in some laying will decrease dramatically. Duel purpose heritage breeds will lay less eggs a week but will lay longer in their lives, most 3-6 years.

You could try increasing the protein content of their feed, especially if you have been feeding layer ration which when combined with other stuff can leave high production birds depleted. So switching your feed to a non medicated grower or an All Flock ration might help, 18-20% is a good protein amount.

Two year old birds should still be laying good.
How long have you owned these birds?
Hens from good production breeding would be laying more eggs than that.
Tell more details please...
Do you provide oyster shell any added protein?
Protein can be handful of cat food...What is the daily living for your flock?

Thank you. Very helpful information. I will try increasing protein. I feel less worried after your sharing the RSL data. I will post if or when any changes.

We bought the hens at 4 mos old from Southern States in Winchester, VA. They have been healthy all along and started laying a few weeks after we brought them home. Good solid layers until this year. We do not let them run free but they have a tractor and the coop is large and their yard is as well. Someone suggested increasing protein so I will try that. Thank you.

Dry cat food....really? I have plenty of that on hand.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom