Only 3.5 weeks old, but any guesses?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lashlsufan, Dec 23, 2012.

1. lashlsufan

lashlsufan Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2012
    Southern Louisiana
    Received these chicks when they were 2 days old. They are now 3.5 weeks old. When we got them from a friend, they said we received 1 silkie, 3 millie fleurs, 2 bantam araucanas. I am not too sure about the breeds being correct, and I know they are young to sex, but let's take some guesses for the fun of it!

We are new to this and have been trying to do a lot of research, but any information would be greatly appreciated including breed, colors, etc.

Also, we haven't come up with any names yet. Any ideas??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Was told this was a silkie, but not too sure about that. Maybe a millie as well?
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    -only has 4 toes; one toe is cut off
    Here is the first millie. We think it is a roo, but just a feeling based on size in comparison to others.
    [​IMG]
    Here is another millie. Two of them are identical, except one is slightly larger than the other.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Here is the last millie.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    We have two bantam araucanas but are pretty certain, based on research, they are easter eggers since they have tails.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Thanks again for any help or comments. We have also posted pictures of our coop in a previous thread. Would love any comments for improvement as well. We used the Purina Coop Plan as a basis but added a few touches of our own.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  2. Gardeningmama

Gardeningmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Is it possible that # 1 & 2 are D'uccle/ Silkie crosses. That's what I'm thinking. The 4 toes doesn't make the difference as many hatchery Silkies only have 4 toes, but the "chaps on # 1 look d'uccle to me, and that chicks feathers are not Silkied. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.
    Can't tell sex on # 1, especially if it is a Silkie, you won't know for months.
    #2 I say pullet
    #3 I say roo
    #4 I say roo ( my d'uccle pullet showed no comb growth at all until she was ready to lay.
    #5 & 6 I can't tell, but there's no shame in having an Easter Egger, I love mine. Blue eggs are awesome.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Mille fleur is a color, not a breed. The most common breed with the color is a d'uccle.

I don't see any silkies in your pictures.

The redder bird is probably a mille fluer color. The other two feather footed may be d'uccles, I'll leave that to the bantam folks!

Both your easter eggers look like pullets at this point, but it's still too early to be sure.

4. Gardeningmama

Gardeningmama Chillin' With My Peeps

She's right, to clear it up #3 & #4 are Mille Fleur D'Uccles (mille fleur being the color). I have them,and have hatched them, they look exactly like mine.
    I do think #1 is a Silkie/ D'uccle cross because of the black skin. The face also looks like my mixed Silkie hen's.
    They are probably a mixed bunch, but who cares, they are adorable!!![​IMG]

5. lashlsufan

lashlsufan Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2012
    Southern Louisiana
    Thank you for the clarification. Like I said, we are pretty new to the whole chicken rearing gig! Now that you mention it, I do recall the person we got them from saying d'uccle. So it is very possible that the first two are mixed with d'uccle. We are thoroughly enjoying them so far regardless of their breed.

6. ESofVA

ESofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    my dumb thought...I removed it!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    they are really to young to tell for sure though on gender

8. Snozzle