1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Only 4 chickens out of 11 left...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Honeysuckle, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Honeysuckle

Honeysuckle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Burnin' up in KY
    6 chickens have been killed by a hawk flying around. We have tried to keep them in the coop, but on the days we let them free-range they were slowly being killed. We have the following still alive:

Austrops(spelled wrong, I know)- Black chicken and Torn-up-face (she has a torn up face)

Barred Rocks- Check (she has only 1 tail feather left and the feathers on her back end have been torn up from a hawk attack) and our rooster simply named rooster or roo.

We had a RIR named Red, another Austrop named perfect chicken, a black chicken with a red head we didn't know the breed of, Barred Rock's named Mean and Broody and a silver laced wyandotte.

I'm glad Check is still alive, she is my favorite hen.

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

You need to cover your run. Raptors are nesting and migrating now and will return until you have none left...

3. vnploveschickens

vnploveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with Lynne. You need to get some kind of netting and cover your run. We lost a couple of pullets early on when we first got chickens last Sept. We haven't had a problem with hawks since we covered up our run.

4. JessaLynn

JessaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    Use string,rope,fishing line whatever and criss cross it over top your run so they wont be able to fly in.There wing spand is to large to fly threw.It works great for me.I watched a hawk tried to get in and SURPRISE went right back up.STUPID BIRD! Lost 30 hens last year to a red tail hawk and didn't know it till I seen them.No more problems since then!

5. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Cover the run totally, or string it with hobbling line. Block flight paths with the same line. Some people say to hang old CD's in the area so the wind blows them around - their flashing and sparkling is supposed to deter hawks.

You can also give the chickens range shelters to duck into whenever the hawk is around. My sister did that and it worked pretty good.

Since hawks are chicken predators, I'd like to tell you how to deal with them yourself, once and for all. But I cannot, since it is illegal to molest them even if they are killing your chickens, and I certainly don't want to tell you to shoot them and bury the carcass.

You must do what you think is best, but I suggest you at least check with your county extension service on the matter.

In some places you can trap them for live relocation and a few locales will send a dutiful agent of the government around to dispatch the hawk for you, since you're not allowed to.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  6. beak

beak On vacation

Dec 12, 2008
    Kiowa, Colorado
    Are they actually able to pick up a full grown chicken. Like a Buff or a RIR? We had 2 dead chickens laying in their run. A few days later 2 went missing. They are only out during daytime.

7. jloftin60

jloftin60 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2008
    DeRidder, LA
    I used to have several hawks flying around until I put one of those large
    plastic owls out in the open by the barn.

8. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    Quote:Yes. They can pick up the chicken, fly up into the air, drop it to kill the chicken and then fly down and eat it. [​IMG] [​IMG] Mean hawks!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  9. beak

beak On vacation

Dec 12, 2008
    Kiowa, Colorado
    Quote:Yes. They can pick up the chicken, fly up into the air, drop it to kill the chicken and then fly down and eat it. [​IMG] [​IMG] Mean hawks!

Maybe that would explain why they were lying in the run dead but there wasn't any marks on them. Then the other 2 were just gone with no feathers or any of the stuff you usually see when foxes are involved.

thanks

10. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC

Of course, we know hawks arent "mean." They are just doing what they do. It is advised that you not personify animals in general, in particular wild ones. Instead, see them dispassionately, as they really are.
    Most raptors that attack terrestrial prey, disable their victim at the initial onslaught -when they smash into them at high speed with their greater weight.
    In addition to the speed and weight behind their assault, there are certain killing strokes they bring to bear when they attack, to maim their prey. Shredding claws and stabbing beaks, when applied just right, make it easier to take their stunned victim away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by