Only 4 days left, she didn't sit on all of them fully!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by h8snags, Oct 25, 2011.

1. h8snags

h8snags Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Murray, UT
    I have never hatched eggs before. I have a hen we purchased who was with a rooster. Much to my surprise, the next day after we brought her home, my Orpington went broody! So, I figured, why not let her hatch them, as we do not have a rooster, and this may be the only time for her to be a mama.. I slipped 6 eggs under her, and all has been great! There was movement in them, I just candled them a few days ago.. Then this morning I went out to check on her and she wasn't sitting on all of them! She was only sitting on maybe one or two, the others were cold!!! Does this mean they won't be alive? I'm not sure how long she was off them... The sad part is, there are only 4 days left!!! I put her back on them, I'm not sure if she will abandon the nest now or not. Can I bring them in and put them under a lamp or something if she does? Any advise? Or just wait and see?

2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

[​IMG]

3. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

Just wait and see. If you have an incubator then you could get it ready and put them into that, DONT touch them after today they will be in lockdown.[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  4. h8snags

Feb 23, 2011
    Murray, UT
    I don't have an incubator... [​IMG]

5. h8snags

Feb 23, 2011
    Murray, UT
    Is it possible she hears peeping, and she's just waiting for them to hatch?

6. h8snags

Feb 23, 2011
    Murray, UT
    She still is only sitting on a couple.. I think she's lost all interest... can I bring them in and put them under a lamp and spray them with water or something? Maybe put golf balls under her for a few days to keep her kinda broody? I am so worried.. it's been 4 hours...[​IMG]

7. DrChickenKev

DrChickenKev Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2011
    Quote:This might or might not help...

We recently had our Silkie go broody and she saved up and then sat on about 14 eggs.

She kicked a couple out after a week and we assumed she knew best, then couple more weeks and she kicked out a few more

Then she hatched 4 and became disinterested with the remainder, so we brought the chicks into a brooder during the day so she wouldnt be distracted. And it worked she sat back on the remaining eggs.

Sadly after a week we knew there would be no more activity.

In essence I think she had too many to st on cover and keep warm, we counted 17 eggs in all she had been trying to sit on - I think we took the silkie roo away too late.

So if your girl is sitting on a couple and has booted the other eggs out then she probably knows best, sorry, but even if you have put them back, leave them all now and wait to see what mum does, she will know best

Hope this helps...

8. AngelV

AngelV Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2011
    Pinellas Park Fl
    Quote:This might or might not help...

We recently had our Silkie go broody and she saved up and then sat on about 14 eggs.

She kicked a couple out after a week and we assumed she knew best, then couple more weeks and she kicked out a few more

Then she hatched 4 and became disinterested with the remainder, so we brought the chicks into a brooder during the day so she wouldnt be distracted. And it worked she sat back on the remaining eggs.

Sadly after a week we knew there would be no more activity.

In essence I think she had too many to st on cover and keep warm, we counted 17 eggs in all she had been trying to sit on - I think we took the silkie roo away too late.

So if your girl is sitting on a couple and has booted the other eggs out then she probably knows best, sorry, but even if you have put them back, leave them all now and wait to see what mum does, she will know best

Hope this helps...

[​IMG] In the same boat.. my runner kicked out 6 eggs one day and 1 more a few days later and so far has kept the rest under her.. Im soo excited my first hatch and momma runner is doing a great job sitting on her little ones... I think DrChicken is right "Momma knows best" [​IMG]
    Great to watch and learn how it is all done. Good luck to you and your babies:fl

9. h8snags

Feb 23, 2011
    Murray, UT
    Thank you DrChickenKev and AngelV so much!
    You may be right.. I'm mainly worried, because when I go out to visit the other chickens, I can hear her jump off her nest (I have her sectioned off from the others in the coop), so when I check on her, all she wants is out! She never used to be that way. I let her out once a day to eat and poop and get fresh air for only 15 minutes, then back in she goes. Now it seems all she wants to do is go back to the flock.. maybe I spoiled her broodiness by letting her out? She only has 6 eggs under her. When you say she "kicked them out" do you mean she just refuses to sit on the certain ones? Penny is kinda bunched up in the corner with some of the eggs out in front and on the side of her, like she's sitting there because she's bored... She's lost that broody zen like look in her eyes, but not the fluffed up reaction when I open the door. Maybe I'm over thinking the golf shot! It's just so frustrating because it's been so long, and only a few days left to go!
    Thank you again for your advice, I do believe Mama knows best, I just hope she didn't give up! LOL!

10. h8snags

Feb 23, 2011
    Murray, UT
    Just went out there, she still is not on the nest, and all of the eggs are cold.[​IMG]
    I put a heating blanket in a plastic tote, a blanket on top of that, put the eggs in a square thing my husband made, it has 1/4" hardware fabric on the bottom, covered the eggs with a towel, and a bowl of water on the side, then put the lid on.. Guess we'll see what happens.. can't hurt to try. [​IMG] Here is a pic...
    [​IMG]

Oh, I also put some golf balls in the nest, just in case! That way, if they hatch, I can slip them under her in the night!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by