only 4 of 5 chickens laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tomgee, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Tomgee

Tomgee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    I have 5 chickens roughly the same age. The first one started laying August 1st. The next three started in the beginning of October. The fifth one does not lay. She is old enough now but has never laid an egg. Her behavior is still as if she is a pullet. She runs away from me and acts nervous. The others will do the submissive "hen squat" and let me pet them (when that behavior starts they usually start laying after that). Do I just have a bad layer?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Most likely a late bloomer. Chickens approaching POL in autumn sometimes take a long time to start up.

When did you start layer feed? I usually wait till they've all produced an egg. Staying with a finisher feed and oyster shell on the side.

3. Tomgee

Tomgee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    I moved them to layer feed early (too early? not sure). And they do get oyster shells. This chicken is really an odd one. Even though she is 2nd in the pecking order she tends to stay by herself.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If you started layer August 1, that's 3 1/2 months with 4 times the calcium she needs. Some birds can handle that some can't.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by