1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Only 4 out of 18 remain

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by blitz1027, Jun 30, 2011.

1. blitz1027

blitz1027 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Natchitoches
    [​IMG] I got a phone call this morning from my grandmother that out of the 18 chicks I had ordered for them only 4 are still alive. They had them in a chicken wire pen with a roof on it and apparently something found a way into the pen and killed and ate all but 4 of the biddies. My grandmother called crying this morning and I want to as well. there were 7 buff Orpingtons, 4 Partridge Cochins, 2 Americaunas, 2 partridge Silkies and 3 black Frizzle Cochins. All thats left is 1 buff Orpington, 2 Americaunas and 1 black Frizzle Cochin. I'm so upset right now and I feel bad for me grandparents because my grandfathers favorite breed is buff Orpington.

2. lowry075

lowry075 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Southern California
    First of all... I am so sorry for your loss.[​IMG]

Second of all... I WISH everyone knew about how lame chicken wire is. Chicken wire is only for keeping chickens out of someplace you don't want them. Hardware cloth or welded wire will keep out predators. There are some sad pictures of the damage done to chciken wire enclosures on this forum.

Hardware cloth has small holes that will keep out everything except insects. Welded wire is larger and birds and small rodents will fit through it, but no larger predators.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  3. hisdaughter

hisdaughter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Lakeland
    I am sorry for your losses. [​IMG]

4. blitz1027

Feb 10, 2011
    Natchitoches
    Quote:Sorry guess I should have explained further.
    The chicken wire was just around the bottom of the enclosure we had them in. The enclosure it self was chain link fence

5. lowry075

lowry075 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Southern California
    Rats then? Was there digging? Regardless, like I said before..that is terrible. I just wonder what it was? [​IMG]

6. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Poor little things! I hope you work out what got to them.

7. lovinlife

lovinlife Chillin' With My Peeps

Thats horrible! How big were the babies? Hopefully you can get more for them.

I also keep my chickens in a chain link enclosure with chicken wire around the bottom. I have some young chicks that I am still not comfortable letting loose in the larger pen. It's just not safe until they are bigger.

I'd suggest going around the pen and look for where the predator got in. Any hole bigger than 2" is suspect.

8. blitz1027

Feb 10, 2011
    Natchitoches
    Best we can figure it was either a cat or a raccoon. Where we live raccoons are fairly common and they can get in and out of places no other animal can.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by