only a week or two into keeping chickens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cpwhip, Jul 11, 2011.

1. cpwhip

cpwhip Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Maryland
    and I already upgraded my coop the 1st one pictured here I felt was too small.
    funny when I bought it they said it will house 8 standard or 12 bantams and being a newb
    I trusted them however I soon found out this coop is suited for maybe 3-4 standard size chickens.
    [​IMG]
    so I upgraded to this coop it will have a 20x25 foot fenced run and I think this will keep
    the 8 girls happy, what do you think? is it better? also this one has a ridge vent and I can stand up in it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Your new coop is lovely!! And I know your chickens will love their new, ample run [​IMG] Yeah - I think maybe the marketing folks who advertise coops must go by factory farm standards when it comes to how many birds will "fit" inside a given coop, because I'm sure if the birds stood shoulder to shoulder that first little coop could house 8 large birds...lol. Are you selling the little coop, or keeping it for chicken math???
    Love the windows in your new coop! [​IMG]

3. Kdub86

Kdub86 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    Looks great I'm sure your chickens will love the extra room. And on the plus side ample space for you when getting in and cleaning ect.

4. Kyle241

Kyle241 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    That is a very nice upgrade! And they will love the size of that run.

5. cpwhip

cpwhip Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Maryland
    Thanks Guy's it always helps to get other opinions:) I sold the other coop yesterday to a nice couple who
    only want to keep 2-3 hens. I'm trying to get the new coop delivered this Friday and the folks I sold the other coop
    to are willing to wait till the girls are tranferred to their new coop. I was thinking would it be best to bring the chicks to their new coop
    after dark then let them spend the night in it? I want to try not to stress them out if possible.

6. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Yup, that definitley is an upgrade. I still like the little coop for newbie chicks. I love the new coop.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by