1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

"only as household pets" in Upper Chichester, PA

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by flowerfaeiry, Jan 13, 2014.

1. flowerfaeiry

flowerfaeiry Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2012
    Onancock, VA
    After one year of having my backyard chickens, a complaint has been issued stating "no farm animals permitted". I have a corner property so I only have one adjoining neighbor and one to the rear. Both neighbors do not mind the chickens and did not complain. I am currently waiting to hear back from the zoning inspector to find out why I received a complaint. Before I ever got my first eggs, I contacted our township office, got the run a round. First, I was told."no farm animals, I am not zoned a farm", then when I quoted the ordinance which states " chickens, ducks, guinea pigs, hamsters, etc may only be kept as household pets provided they are not a nuisance", the inspector would only verify that it is the current ordinance and it will be enforced. I took this all to mean that they couldn't be bothered and I went ahead and hatched some eggs! Now, one year later, they say the "farm animals" must go??? What is the best way to prove that they are "pets" and how do I fight this?

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Legal definition of farm animals is basically the same as definition of livestock and chickens are not a farm animal. http://definitions.uslegal.com/f/farm-animal/

If you don't sell eggs, meat or birds then they are pets. That is what the ordinance says you can have. chickens, hampsters etc as pets if not a nuisance.

3. flowerfaeiry

Dec 15, 2012
    Onancock, VA
    I retread the ordinance and it clearly says that chickens, ducks, pigeons, hamsters, mice...are small animals. It goes on to classify horses, cows, sheep as farm animals. I'm going to stand my ground and fight for the right to keep my PETS!

4. kardar2

kardar2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2013
    Jones valley area
    Go!...... Good luck!

5. robtechno

robtechno New Egg

May 4, 2013
    Hi, what is the news about your 'farm animals"
    I will be shortly moving to PA.

thanks.

6. flowerfaeiry

Dec 15, 2012
    Onancock, VA
    Welcome to PA!
    I contacted the township to straighten it out and they couldn't find a complaint against my address, so There is no official complaint! I know my birds aren't bothering anyone, and I will make sure they don't wander. I went ahead and put some eggs in the incubator, just want to add a few more to the four I have now. Of course, no Roos for me!
    I wish I could find someone close

7. flowerfaeiry

Dec 15, 2012
    Onancock, VA
    I wish I could find someone close that keeps chickens also, it's just me here...

crazydonutface likes this.
  8. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
  9. sammy7100

sammy7100 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2014
    I'm going through the same run-around in Rush Township, Pa. I emailed the township to ask if I could have chickens, never giving my name or address, just stating my circumstances, but they never replied. I see we have an ordinance about keeping chickens on residential property but my house is on a lot zoned Commercial. I couldn't find any ordinance dealing with chickens on a commercial property. I don't know where to go from here. I do know others in my township that have chickens but they don't know the laws either.

10. flowerfaeiry

Dec 15, 2012
    Onancock, VA
    I think that most local officials really don't care so long as they are not a nuisance.
    I just try to keep a low profile and don't give anyone reason to complain.
    Get a copy of your zoning laws and read it carefully. The answer is in there, if not, you should have no reason to worry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by