Only breeding one roo and one hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by slickchick, Apr 16, 2009.

1. slickchick

slickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2007
    Mertztown, Pa
    Wondering how many of you when you decide to breed or mate only pure breeds, do you usually only put one hen of choice in with the rooster or do you usually put a few hens in there. Would it be okay to put only one hen that you want pure eggs from in there with him or is it better to put a few in? silly question but I am a newbie to breeding.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  2. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    I was wondering the same thing. I'm a newbie too. [​IMG]
    It probably just depends how many chicks we want, but then again..will he drive her crazy. Hopefuly someone with chicky expertise will come along and give us some good advice. [​IMG]

3. slickchick

slickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2007
    Mertztown, Pa
    Yes, I was thinking the same thing...didn't want to stress her out too much!!! I guess it would depend on how many fertile eggs you wanted/needed or how many chicks you wanted to hatch and how long you wanted to leave them in together. I heard that at least a 2 week seperation from the other flock members is a good time frame for pure eggs. What have you learned about isolation time?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by