only duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chriswduck, Jul 21, 2010.

1. chriswduck

chriswduck New Egg

Jul 21, 2010
    My duck's companion of five years just died making her an only duck. I don't really want to have any more ducks but don't want to re-home my last pet. I know they do better in flocks but can one duck do OK alone? She is free range in day time with lovely home and other pets around for company but is shut up alone at night.

2. glenolam

glenolam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Canterbury, CT
    [​IMG]

Do you have anyone that can live with her at night? Or maybe have a mud room in your house you could keep her in at night so she's closer to you? If she gets along with the other animals you have I'd just let her live with them 24/7...

3. Blooming chicks

Blooming chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Bucks County
    When I had only 2 ducks, then lost my female, my drake would follow my family and the dogs around--coming right into the house and laying on the dog bed with them. We put a baby gate up so he couldn't get to the carpeted areas. He was content being near us (and the dogs). We now have 2 juvenile ducks out in the yard with him and 7 more in the brooder waiting to join them, but he still comes to the door and visits with me, drinks out of the dog bowl, hangs out in the kitchen. I think he might eventually be part of the flock again, but if not I have a diaper harness on order and he'll be my house duck--lol.

Welcome to BYC!

4. chriswduck

chriswduck New Egg

Jul 21, 2010
    I'm starting to think I need to get another duck to keep her company. Is is better to get her a drake? Any suggestions on how to pick one that she might be more likely to get along with?

5. Blooming chicks

Blooming chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Bucks County
    If you want to get another duck, I certainly think she'll be happier. They do best in groups. I don't necessarily think you need to get a drake, another female would be fine. I can't tell you how to choose one that she will get along with, but introduced properly, I think she'd be happy to have any buddies right now. Mine was so happy to see the ducklings when they were old enough to go to the adult pen. He still visits at the door, but not nearly as often.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by