1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Only ever laid one egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by katmac555, Aug 4, 2014.

1. katmac555

katmac555 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2014
    My light Sussex is now around 8months old. She laid one egg - absolutely enormous - around four months ago, and has never laid again. Her breeder suggested she may have caused some internal damage, and may not lay again - I can't find anything on good old google so am hoping for some advice! All the others (9 of them) are happy and healthy and lay daily. They have wonderful diets and she has no sign of illness. May she never actually lay again? Do they just stop producing or will it harm her not to?

2. hxgumdrop

hxgumdrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Bristol, England
    When you feel her around her bottom/tummy can you feel anything? Eggs can get stuck it would be strange it would be stuck for 4months but if that is the case Vaseline around her bottom can help. apart from eggs being stuck i have no idea maybe try speaking to your local vet?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by