Only hen - now 2

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chowder, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Chowder

Chowder Out Of The Brooder

We have a hen that is about 8 months old (a Delaware) she has been the only chicken and is handled regularly - well, this weekend we got another chicken from a friend, a RIR, she is about 2 1/2 months. We let thme both free range when we brought her home and then later in the evening put them in the coop - some pecking from the older one and then they went up and went to sleep. This morning they were down eating together and then after that - the older wouldn't let the younger chicken down out of the top of the coop and keeps chasing her and pecking her - we let them out to free range for a few hours and there was no fighting - then when it was time to go back in - the older chased the younger back upstairs and was making a lot of cackling noises . . . ALL DAY . . .now tonight they are up sleeping together again . . . but I am worried that tomorrow will be another day of chasing, pecking and cackling and wonder if there is anything that we can do to make this a little smoother on both of them (and us)!?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sounds normal to me. Happy intergration. It may take a few weeks to totally calm down.

3. Chowder

Okay - one more question. If we are going to add another chicken (same home as the RIR - same age) should we do it now and deal with the integaration all at one time . . . or see how she does with 1 first - or will it not matter - 1 or 2? Or is it better to do 1 at a time?

4. Backyard Buddies

Backyard Buddies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    I can't help with your question as I got my 3 all at the same time. However, I just wanted to say [​IMG] neighbor! It's not often that I see folks from OC here at BYC. Welcome!

5. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    i would do it now integration is stressful and it will work great to just have all the fighting at once and might even eleviate the pressure on the younger ones because they and team up and also the older one has two new ones to deal with I always think 3 is better than 2. I integrated two new groups of hens into my flock and their is always fighting but it was better when the groups were 6 hens and 6 hens and not the later groups of only two hens into a groups of 9 hens.

Henry

6. Chowder

OK - so maybe we will grab the other one tomorrow . . . because I would rather get it all over with at one time and not cause as much stress on all of them again in another month once these two settle down. Plus like you have said - maybe having the two younger ones together they will be able to team up and Chowder will leave them alone - plus they are use to each other and came from a flock of 9 . . . so maybe they will be more at ease with one another and Chowder will eventually jsut get over being the boss, huh?

Thanks for the advice!

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yes, do both at the same time. Your boss will probably always be boss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by